Orthogonality: welcome back! September 7, 2005 7:04 AM   Subscribe

Welcome back orthogonality!
posted by odinsdream to MetaFilter-Related at 7:04 AM (56 comments total)

Hear, hear!
posted by loquacious at 7:12 AM on September 7, 2005

yes.
posted by taz at 7:26 AM on September 7, 2005

Damn right.
posted by goodnewsfortheinsane at 7:26 AM on September 7, 2005

And the point of this is?
posted by Witty at 7:29 AM on September 7, 2005

To welcome him back, duh.
posted by Rothko at 7:33 AM on September 7, 2005

Witty, why you so testy?
posted by qwip at 7:33 AM on September 7, 2005

Yeah, this thread isn't bitchy. I feel cheated somehow. I'm sure Witty was just trying to help me out.

(I would like to welcome orthogonality back, but I'd also have liked to given him the option to return quietly, if he liked, since his previous departure was so odd. Ah well.)
posted by selfnoise at 7:59 AM on September 7, 2005

You have been missed.
posted by caddis at 8:00 AM on September 7, 2005

Yeah, well, I was a big ortho fan, at least until The Stories of Meetup Weirdness, which put me off a bit.

What upsets me more is the total silence about quonsar's absence. Not to say that I'm personally upset about his disappearance -- I prefer to remain coy about that -- but it's interesting to me how so many could grovel at the Altar of Meepzorp for so long, make so much noise about how they loved the q with a sickly and only slightly ironic internet love, and then just look the other way when he disappeared completely from these pages, at least.

Gives me mock-community pause. Not that I want Metafilter to be my amberfrozen epitaph, but hell, one never knows when the Bus of Destiny is going to run you down, does one? Are these my last written words? And would you fuckers care much beyond a '.' if they were?

(That's a rhetorical question, I'm compelled to clarify for you 20K user#-plus dumbasses, by the way. Gotta spell things out for most of them, I've noticed. Heh.)
posted by stavrosthewonderchicken at 8:01 AM on September 7, 2005

Go on and fuck right off back out of it Ortho, you twunting twat.

(It needed some dissent.)
posted by PinkStainlessTail at 8:06 AM on September 7, 2005

You can talk to quonsar over at MetaChat. Lots of MeFi refugees are still active over there. (Now we debate whether "refugee" is the proper term...)
posted by goatdog at 8:08 AM on September 7, 2005

Yay, wb!
posted by By The Grace of God at 8:10 AM on September 7, 2005

I'm not entirely clueless, despite accusations to the contrary, goatdog.

You miss my point, thud. I have no great need to talk to q -- I know where to find him if it comes over me -- it's the 'community' reaction (or lack thereof) to his absence (or that of orthogonality's (fappity fap!)) that captivates me.
posted by stavrosthewonderchicken at 8:12 AM on September 7, 2005

Woo-hoo!
posted by moonbird at 8:22 AM on September 7, 2005

I did not miss your point, although now I wonder about the clueless factor. I was saying that perhaps because there's a new, semi-popular MeFi surrogate that features everything we like about MeFi (quonsar and bitching about server downtime), the pain of his absence is somewhat abated over here. Thud.
posted by goatdog at 8:23 AM on September 7, 2005

I miss quonsar's wit around here, even though in the past year or so he had been practically neutered, far too prim and proper. I really miss the quonsar with the 50,000 megawatt snark ray.
posted by caddis at 8:24 AM on September 7, 2005

I was saying that perhaps because there's a new, semi-popular MeFi surrogate that features everything we like about MeFi (quonsar and bitching about server downtime), the pain of his absence is somewhat abated over here.

Well, no. You said 'You can talk to quonsar over at MetaChat.' You may have been thinking something more deliciously rococco, but that's your responsibility to communicate, friend.
posted by stavrosthewonderchicken at 8:29 AM on September 7, 2005

You forgot a zero.
posted by loquacious at 8:29 AM on September 7, 2005

Stavros-I have the same reaction to the non-reaction to the departure (?) of quonsar.

I wish that this thread had not been started. orthogonality seemed to desire a break and some quiet about his intentions/motivations. If he decides to come back to MetaFilter (and one comment does not a return make), then he should get a chance to do it quietly.
posted by OmieWise at 8:34 AM on September 7, 2005

Aye.
posted by stavrosthewonderchicken at 8:35 AM on September 7, 2005

Yes, yes, I hit post before I finished thinking. But do you think q's continued presence elsewhere has muted our collective garment-rending? I guess I didn't really notice his absence because I keep seeing him over there and on IRC.
posted by goatdog at 8:49 AM on September 7, 2005

So why has he disappeared?
I trumpeted about it quietly a couple of times but got no response.
Or has he been disappeared?
posted by NinjaPirate at 8:53 AM on September 7, 2005

Witty, why you so testy?

Seems like a legit question to me, quip. Many more people have returned to MeFi without the fanfare.

With that said, I'd like to welcome back jcterminal!
posted by KevinSkomsvold at 8:54 AM on September 7, 2005

So why has he disappeared?
I trumpeted about it quietly a couple of times but got no response.
Or has he been disappeared?

misses the q
posted by NinjaPirate at 8:55 AM on September 7, 2005

And fuck you all. I was gone for a month and nobody noticed.
*sniff:sniff*
posted by KevinSkomsvold at 8:55 AM on September 7, 2005

I didn't even realize ortho had gone. I did notice that q was gone, but I didn't mention it, thinking that if we said his name too often, we might summon that tricksy demon back.
posted by crunchland at 8:58 AM on September 7, 2005

I do miss quonsar as well. We never tussled but that guy made me bust a gut almost daily.
posted by KevinSkomsvold at 8:59 AM on September 7, 2005

YAY!
posted by Decani at 9:09 AM on September 7, 2005

why has our god forsaken us?
posted by Stynxno at 9:23 AM on September 7, 2005

Not to butt in too deeply (heh) into stav's and goat's convo, but I think that, possibly, the people who would/do miss quonsar know where he is and don't feel any real need to lament his lack of presence at MeFi.

PS: Whoa. Is that a run on sentence or what?
posted by deborah at 9:26 AM on September 7, 2005

Welcome back KevinSkomsvold!

/tosses confettii
posted by odinsdream at 9:32 AM on September 7, 2005

This place has been reduced in awesomeness by a factor of a 10 by many things over the past year or so. It's still better than most places though, even if I do miss some of the old dogs now and again. Once in a while one of the really new people (I'm not that new) will perk my ears up but it's getting a bit "me too sir" in some of the political threads, to the point that some of the left wing people who aren't screaming at the top of their lungs will be accused of being Bush's Bitches.

I therefore welcome the occasional bit of difference that dios, justgary etc bring. I'd like to see more people of a different ideological bent here capable of arguing properly and with the will and wit to shoot down some of the more ridiculous statements that grace those hallowed blue pages. I'm just a whining old curmudgeon though so fuck it, ignore me.

/shakes kid at those damn sticks.
posted by longbaugh at 10:05 AM on September 7, 2005

I was kidding Odinsdream but gladly accept your confetti. ;)
posted by KevinSkomsvold at 10:20 AM on September 7, 2005

ACCEPT MY CONFETTI
posted by sonofsamiam at 10:21 AM on September 7, 2005

Welcome back, kotter.
posted by safetyfork at 10:21 AM on September 7, 2005

I miss Miguel.
posted by timeistight at 10:27 AM on September 7, 2005

ACCEPT MY CONFETTI

This is now an honoured runner-up to my three favourite sentences.
posted by carmen at 10:50 AM on September 7, 2005

welcome back, odinsdream.
posted by crunchland at 10:52 AM on September 7, 2005

Welcome, Welcome, Fiona
posted by If I Had An Anus at 11:07 AM on September 7, 2005

stavros: I envy your gift for phrasing.

ortho: Cool to see you're back. Or, should that be "Cool to see your back"? Nah, I kid. - luv m
posted by mischief at 11:17 AM on September 7, 2005

Witty, why you so testy?

He chose a username that's the antithesis of his personality.

And welcome back user 21820, "I plan to escape and come back."
posted by gsb at 11:23 AM on September 7, 2005

He should have just stuck with 111.
posted by Armitage Shanks at 11:27 AM on September 7, 2005

As Witty has pointed out on at least one occasion, it *is* his name.
posted by carter at 11:37 AM on September 7, 2005

ortho: sorry.
posted by Gyan at 12:02 PM on September 7, 2005

I'm glad crash is back, albeit randomly.
posted by sciurus at 2:11 PM on September 7, 2005

wb, ortho
posted by ori at 2:40 PM on September 7, 2005

Ok, so can someone explain why quonsar is gone then? Is this something that all the cool kids know already? Would I really be happier over at MetaChat?
posted by spaghetti at 5:53 PM on September 7, 2005

Popcorn, anyone?

Actually, I predict that Matt closes this one on the "no cross-website-flame-wars" principle.

But, as far as q, put me in the ho-hum column.
posted by Mid at 6:19 PM on September 7, 2005

Shame that q now populates MeCha, which has everything I hate about MeFi, and nothing I like-- much like MoFi, I suppose.

I'm glad that orthogonality (you all know he dislikes being called "ortho", right?) came back, if only briefly, and I hope he finds a way to somehow drag Miguel, Mida$, and hama7 back into the fray.
posted by Kwantsar at 6:35 PM on September 7, 2005

stravros, according to the Bible q will return and usher in paradise on Mefi. I figure this'll happen in <6 months. Keep the faith.
posted by nixerman at 7:18 PM on September 7, 2005

Will q's return be foreshadowed by the apparition of four admins?
posted by clevershark at 8:33 PM on September 7, 2005

where is qounsar anyway ?
I leave for a month and no qounsar when i get back ?
posted by sgt.serenity at 1:39 AM PST on July 29 [!]

I care Stav , I care .
When Destiny's bus leaves you as so much roadkill , i'll be down at portobello beach , pouring whisky libations into the forth on your behalf.

If I can be arsed , obviously.
posted by sgt.serenity at 11:49 PM on September 7, 2005

Why, thank you, sarge. I'm touched that you'd remember (somehow) that I once lived there, and that you'd choose just the right thing to do.
posted by stavrosthewonderchicken at 2:02 AM on September 8, 2005

Welcome back, orthogonality.
posted by Bugbread at 3:40 AM on September 8, 2005

froth?
posted by cortex at 9:33 AM on September 8, 2005

I miss quonsar, too. I'm getting by, however.
posted by mrgrimm at 12:23 PM on September 8, 2005

« Older Sweating it   |   Katrina (hurricane) filter? Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments