Thread blending? April 18, 2002 9:47 AM   Subscribe

Would it be possible to "melt" some threads? Right now there are three threads all relating to the plane-hit-Milan-tower. Which one should I put my comments in? The first? The last? Malcom in the middle?

I have no idea on what the code behind Mefi allows (PHP?). Just an idea for similar cases that are bound to happen.
posted by Baud to Feature Requests at 9:47 AM (13 comments total)

If my memory serves me right, the MeFi code is based in ColdFusion.
posted by mkelley at 9:51 AM on April 18, 2002

I'm sure the latter two will be deleted (ColdFusion).

This kind of 'breaking-news must be first to post' mentality annoys me.
posted by mkn at 9:51 AM on April 18, 2002

I actually debated whether to post this or not as I was just sure there were going to be multiple posts. I decided to, but I tried to get some additional information on the subject that was non-news related.
posted by bshort at 10:12 AM on April 18, 2002

I don't mind posts like yours, bshort. It's just that a lot of people tend to write "PLANE HITS BUILDING MILAN" with a link to CNN's main page as soon as they hear of some breaking news. It seems to me like a lot of "first post!!1!!" mentality.
posted by mkn at 10:42 AM on April 18, 2002

"a lot of people tend to write "PLANE HITS BUILDING MILAN" with a link to CNN's main page as soon as they hear of some breaking news", and I'm glad of it. I learned of the event here on metafilter cuz I happened to have a spare moment and dropped in. If the story hadn't been posted here, I may not have learned of the event until much later.
posted by mischief at 1:12 PM on April 18, 2002

If the story hadn't been posted here, I may not have learned of the event until much later.

And that would be bad because...?
posted by kindall at 1:59 PM on April 18, 2002

> And that would be bad because...?

Because if you aren't the first to know and tell, you can't enjoy that false ooh-ooh-I-know-something-interesting-so-I-must-somehow-be-interesting-myself feeling around the water cooler.

posted by pracowity at 10:18 PM on April 18, 2002

Who has a water cooler in their office anymore?

And since we're all on MeFi all the time, who talks to their coworkers anymore?
posted by RJ Reynolds at 10:38 PM on April 18, 2002

I have a water cooler in my house, there was one at the sculpture department studios here at Yale, there's one in my uncle's office at TIAA-CREF...Looks like everyone has access to a water cooler except you, RJ. You must feel deprived.
posted by evanizer at 10:51 PM on April 18, 2002

When I used to work at a tech company in Sydney, we had a beer cooler. No, really.

Maybe that's why the stock tanked. Ah well.
posted by stavrosthewonderchicken at 10:55 PM on April 18, 2002

We have not one but two water coolers in our office.
posted by kindall at 12:14 AM on April 19, 2002

I meant to say, we probably have yours, RJR... you can pick it up anytime.
posted by kindall at 12:43 AM on April 19, 2002

Dear Poster:

Do you mean melt or Meld?
posted by ParisParamus at 2:43 PM on April 19, 2002

« Older Callout for multiple sock puppets   |   Shoutout for Projects Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments