Hey, I read the profile of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and with all the posts in this thread
from people who think Pentecostals are mentally ill and/or should all die, I too can make shit up that "proves" those posters themselves are mentally ill because they fit the profile.
Out of the 9 criteria in the DSM-IV, five must be met, (I looked this up on Wikipedia, so I think I'm knowledgeable enough to have my opinion be respected on this matter,)
1. "Has a grandiose sense of self-importance" (Since they believe that, even as a non-qualified professional, their diagnosis or opinion of a person or persons you never met having a mental illness is somehow valuable and worthy of contribution to a conversation.)
3. "Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)" (Like that their wish expressed in this thread, that those with differing beliefs, even if they don't materially effect them in anyway, should die.)
5. "Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations" (That their ability to eventually read something on Wikipedia or having interacted with schizophrenics makes them an expert, beyond, say, an actual professional therapist or psychaitrist.)
7. "Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others." (Isn't actually interested in helping the people they remotely diagnose, would just rather see them die.)
8. "Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitude." (Need I go on? It's soooooooo obvious.)
Can you even have a better explanation for their behavior?
Oh! I have one! Maybe they're jerks who shouldn't categorize all behavior they disagree with as mental illness, especially since
1. They aren't professionals,
and, even moreso,
2. It's pretty obvious that the motivation for such pseudo-diagnostics is not an actual attempt to explain abnormal behavior, but is from a desire to condemn and other the people that display such behavior as much as possible, up to and including wishing they were dead.
It has about as much worth in this conversation as my bullshit diagnosis I pulled from my ass. The difference is I'm not pretending my bullshit diagnosis is worth anything, and I'm not using it to conceal my contempt. My contempt is pretty naked, and people like c13 are shitting up the thread.
Can we seriously stop with the whole "I will diagnose people that I hate because it's a good avenue of attack?" It's one thing to say "That's crazy," it's quite another to pull some stuff off of Wikipedia in an attempt to give your hateful opinions some credibility. It's insulting and stigmatizing to users here who have mental illness, it makes any serious discussion of mental illness very difficult, and it derails other attempts at looking at the post topic.
Or is this just something I'm going to have to deal with? I'm not calling for mod action, except maybe calling people out on this a little more often.