We're putting together a new preferences option to toggle off titles on the front page of Mefi specifically, and we'd like some input on wording.
posted by cortex to MetaFilter-Related at 2:03 PM (133 comments total)
4 users marked this as a favorite
Based on a month or so of feedback on the change toward having post titles visible on the front pages of Mefi, AskMe and MetaTalk, we've seen two major positions emerge from folks not sold on having titles everywhere:
1. Some folks would like to just not see titles on the front page of any of Mefi, AskMe or MetaTalk. We have a solution for that in place already: set the title fontsize to 0.
2. Some folks find titles disruptive on Mefi but find them helpful on Ask (and mostly don't seem to mind them on MetaTalk either). That's what this new preference option is for: a compromise that gives that group the option of splitting the difference without having to use an external hack to accomplish it.
At this point we're mostly just not thrilled with any of the phrasing we've come up with for the preference option, since it's a really small footprint on that page for labels, so we'd like some feedback/suggestions specifically on that front. You can see a few possibilities (and get a sense of the space issue) in these examples:
- Hide titles on the www.metafilter.com front page?
- Hide titles on www.metafilter.com?
- Hide titles on www.metafilter?
The tricky part is that the intent is pretty clear in the context of a thread like this one, but we'd like it to not be mystifying to someone coming to that preference page pretty much cold. That "Mefi" and "Metafilter" can refer to both the site as a whole and specifically just the blue, and "front page" can likewise mean the front page of a given subsite or the front page of the blue, is also a little tricky here.
So, opinions? Ideas?