NaNoWriMo October 30, 2005 5:26 PM   Subscribe

National Novel Writing Month (nanowrimo.org): Any MeFites participating? Have you participated previously? Share, please.
posted by odinsdream to MetaFilter-Related at 5:26 PM (199 comments total)

Me.
posted by TwelveTwo at 5:32 PM on October 30, 2005

No.
posted by TwelveTwo at 5:32 PM on October 30, 2005

I won last year, and I'm playing again this year.
posted by sugarfish at 5:34 PM on October 30, 2005

I am participating and will be blogging it. Good luck to fellow participants!
posted by Manhasset at 5:52 PM on October 30, 2005

Ditto sugarfish. Although my idea is quite vague.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 5:52 PM on October 30, 2005 [1 favorite]

Speaking of which, I need to pull my NaNoWriMo shirt out of the laundry bag....
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 5:53 PM on October 30, 2005 [1 favorite]

after two failed attempts I think I'm sitting this year out.
posted by FlamingBore at 5:53 PM on October 30, 2005

I decided to give it a shot this year, because my life wasn't quite painful enough yet. I'm kinda hoping that the act of forcing myself to write will make me break out of the dull routine I've fallen into.

Good luck to all those (others) participating.
posted by Godbert at 5:57 PM on October 30, 2005

I'm planning on it, but I've got a day or so to decide not to do it.
posted by greasy_skillet at 6:13 PM on October 30, 2005

I'm there. Tried last year and failed. This year I have nothing but time. I will whip this thing. Dang it.
posted by brundlefly at 1:16 AM on October 31, 2005

Two time loser. Realized last time that all I cared about was the opening and closing parties, and even those weren't fun enough.
posted by fleacircus at 2:25 AM on October 31, 2005

For the more musically-minded, don't forget NaSoAlMo (organised by our very own 88robots).
posted by Marquis at 2:35 AM on October 31, 2005

I'm in. However the release of Civ IV and the 360 may kneecap my effort.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 4:14 AM on October 31, 2005

In. See you in a month, MetaFilter.
posted by ColdChef at 4:55 AM on October 31, 2005

Two-time winner, in for a third attempt.
posted by Jeanne at 4:56 AM on October 31, 2005

you are about to enter the nanowrimosphere.
posted by quonsar at 5:29 AM on October 31, 2005

I was kicking the idea around of doing it this year, but I've been told it's in my interest to not participate. I've decided to follow that advice.
posted by safetyfork at 5:50 AM on October 31, 2005

Three time loser. I think I'm gonna try again, though I still resent the choice of months as November is always terribly busy for me.
posted by PinkStainlessTail at 6:15 AM on October 31, 2005

Registration appears to be broken again.
posted by PinkStainlessTail at 6:24 AM on October 31, 2005

Indeed. I was going to sign up, but alas.
posted by sciurus at 6:27 AM on October 31, 2005

Four year winner, going for number five. As if I'm not busy enough as it is.
posted by Dreama at 6:40 AM on October 31, 2005

I've been working on a novel for a while, and I was thinking of trying to get 40k words written this month, along with everyone else. I need to get the plot all hammered out, though.
posted by delmoi at 6:41 AM on October 31, 2005

Heh. Want to, but haven't decided yet...
posted by klangklangston at 6:47 AM on October 31, 2005

I'm in for the first time this year.
posted by katie at 7:08 AM on October 31, 2005

I tried to register using Firefox, Flock and IE and got the same darn errors each try. Too bad. Sounded like fun.
posted by mds35 at 7:22 AM on October 31, 2005

I really want to, but i can never think of a plot. Anyone have any spare ones?
posted by johngoren at 7:31 AM on October 31, 2005

Sounds like a cool contest but I doubt that I'd ever have the perserverence to get through such a thing. Plus as Robocop pointed out, CIV 4 is out and has already killed one weekend for me. I'd love to read some of them though.
posted by octothorpe at 7:38 AM on October 31, 2005

i tried last year and failed. i'll give it another go this year.
posted by Stynxno at 7:39 AM on October 31, 2005

"Over the course of a month, a man living in a dilapidated shack in Northern Vermont was the sole winner of every state lottery in the US. This is his story."
posted by PinkStainlessTail at 7:42 AM on October 31, 2005

Did any of you winners ever publish anything, or come close? Did you feel like you accomplished anything aside from lots of words? Could you please share?

I'm skeptical, but throughout my life I've tried to write novels and found that I'm too critical of my writing to ever finish the job. This type of activity forces you to be uncritical since you don't have the time. Yet I wonder if anything of value is produced, or it's all just wordy drivel.
posted by SeizeTheDay at 7:44 AM on October 31, 2005

This type of activity forces you to be uncritical since you don't have the time.

NaNoEdMo!

I really want to, but i can never think of a plot.

Hmm, plot. Maybe I should have one of those, to avoid falling in a plot hole. Please, don't shoot me!
posted by Godbert at 7:49 AM on October 31, 2005

Did any of you winners ever publish anything, or come close? Did you feel like you accomplished anything aside from lots of words? Could you please share?

I managed to publish a scathing review of my own very stinky NaNo project in a local magazine. Not the same as publishing the stinky project itself, but it was still pretty cool.
posted by COBRA! at 8:07 AM on October 31, 2005

I'll be participating, although I'm tempted to cop out and participate in WriAShorStorWe instead.
posted by freshwater_pr0n at 8:11 AM on October 31, 2005

IFoOnWeOuNaNoWriMoOvLo.
posted by darukaru at 8:14 AM on October 31, 2005

National Drunken Writing Night sounds like fun - November 5th.
I registered with nanowrimo but have no great hopes of finding the time.
posted by thatwhichfalls at 8:25 AM on October 31, 2005

"Over the course of a month, a man living in a dilapidated shack in Northern Vermont was the sole winner of every state lottery in the US. This is his story."

That's not too bad..
posted by johngoren at 8:27 AM on October 31, 2005

I'm skeptical, but throughout my life I've tried to write novels and found that I'm too critical of my writing to ever finish the job.

That's why I'm putting each day's work online as soon as it's finished, warts and all. I'm terrible for writing something today only to come back and play with it tomorrow. I'm hoping that posting each entry online each day will present enough of a mental block that the next day I'll just start on the new stuff.

The point of NaNoWriMo is to complete a first draft, not complete a polished novel.

I'm putting mine online not because I think it'll be good enough to share (it'll be embarassing, for sure), but simply to help myself put each day's writing behind me.

And as for people complaining about the lack of a plot, I think that's also the point. You write the damn thing so fast that you just make the plot up as you go along. I think thinking that one plots a novel completely, pre-writing, is a major mistake many writers make. Sure, some people do it, but many major writers do not. They figure it out as they go along.
posted by Manhasset at 8:58 AM on October 31, 2005

Fifth time. Hoping for win number two. Starting to get seriously antsy for it to be tomorrow already. Doing the usual suicidal post-as-I-write thing over here, where I've summarized the ideas and (in most cases) flaming destruction of the previous four attempts.
posted by cortex at 8:58 AM on October 31, 2005

That's why I'm putting each day's work online as soon as it's finished, warts and all.

Exactly. And if you have a couple friends who will read your crap and prod you along, it gives you some incentive to keep it up where otherwise you may not have any outside forces to encourage you.
posted by cortex at 8:59 AM on October 31, 2005

I'm doing it, and blogging it.
posted by interrobang at 9:14 AM on October 31, 2005

And, what manhasset said.
posted by interrobang at 9:14 AM on October 31, 2005

That's not too bad..

Seriously? Hey if you think you can do something with it, go nuts. Just buy me a house if you strike it big.
posted by PinkStainlessTail at 9:43 AM on October 31, 2005

(A small, dilapidated house. In northern Vermont.)
posted by cortex at 9:49 AM on October 31, 2005

Hurm. Maybe I should post my still-yet-untitled-harboiled-PI-with-faeries-and-goblins-and-nazis-and-zombies-and-stuff story somewhere too. Would Mefi authors be willing to hang together in shame/fame?
posted by robocop is bleeding at 9:54 AM on October 31, 2005

Are you suggesting some sort of sub-literary Mefite collective?
posted by cortex at 10:06 AM on October 31, 2005

Registration appears to be working again. I've officially taken the first step towards not finishing another one!
posted by PinkStainlessTail at 10:14 AM on October 31, 2005

Yeah, something like that, cortex. I'm just drawing a blank on how/where to set this up.

Link up our IDs, sure... but after that? I'm yopyob, by the bye.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 10:29 AM on October 31, 2005

Someone with a head for clean and simple web design and some hosting could create a very simple hub, probably. I recall failed attempts to stoke a MeFi forum on the nanowrimo site in the past -- it's just, eh, too general, too big.

Maybe a simple touch-stone page somewhere and just links to respective blogs and online repositories of folk's regrettable compositions. The old-fashioned way, as it were.
posted by cortex at 10:41 AM on October 31, 2005

cortex!
posted by Stynxno at 10:46 AM on October 31, 2005

the damn signup page is not working for me.
posted by scarabic at 10:48 AM on October 31, 2005

Stynxno!
posted by cortex at 10:48 AM on October 31, 2005

scarabic (and others): the site was being funky for me all morning. It is now behaving again, so perhaps whatever was ill is ill no more.

I have a dark suspicion that Daylight Savings Time is responsible for the cockup.
posted by cortex at 1:16 PM on October 31, 2005

Actualy, I had a really kickass dream last night. It was about a hacker and his murderious enimes fighting in a giant (and beautiful) mexican city (except everyone who lived there was american *shrugs*) It also had a side-plot involving Mr. T.
posted by delmoi at 1:29 PM on October 31, 2005

I'm in. I'm LeeJay on the forums.
posted by LeeJay at 1:32 PM on October 31, 2005

I'm Manhasset on nanowrimo's site though I can't imagine I'll be spending much time on the forums there. I'll be logging my entries at snakescake.com.
posted by Manhasset at 2:11 PM on October 31, 2005

Manhasset, that looks like about seven words of cheating over there.
posted by cortex at 2:20 PM on October 31, 2005

Heh. My first entry will replace that one so it'll go back to zero before I start, smartass.
posted by Manhasset at 2:44 PM on October 31, 2005

Heh.
posted by cortex at 3:05 PM on October 31, 2005

Nanowrimo has to be the most annoying phrase until Fitzmas was invented. I'll put off my novel until the last week of the month then get sidetracked by Turkey and fall asleep during the Lions game.
posted by my sock puppet account at 3:26 PM on October 31, 2005

If anyone wants to friend me, I'm elizabitch on the site. And if you're still looking for a plot, check out the forums. There's a really long adopt-a-plot thread under the Plot Doctoring heading.
posted by sugarfish at 3:36 PM on October 31, 2005

Great, yet another thing for me to get all excited about and then not finish. I'm in.....no, I don't have the time....I'll make the time.........no I won't.....damn damn damn.
posted by Slack-a-gogo at 4:43 PM on October 31, 2005

It did finally work. A little bit of the same empty-page nonsense but subsequent refreshes did the trick.
posted by scarabic at 4:57 PM on October 31, 2005

I'm in, but I have no real hopes of being dedicated enough to finish it, but what the hell.
posted by mygothlaundry at 5:08 PM on October 31, 2005

It's just this sort of thing that makes me happy to be a failed writer. I'm drifting into happy land as I realize that I won't have to feel guilty about not signing up and eventually failing. I've pre-failed!

I may go buy a new XBox to celebrate.
posted by FYKshun at 5:55 PM on October 31, 2005

what's up
with all
the crack
I've been
smoking ?
posted by shmegegge at 6:33 PM on October 31, 2005

Me, but like the past two years, I probably won't write a single word.
posted by Ruki at 7:39 PM on October 31, 2005

I have signed up. This means nothing.
posted by Succa at 8:26 PM on October 31, 2005

Yep! This'll be my 4th year! I'm also the ML for my region
posted by mabelcolby at 8:28 PM on October 31, 2005

I should really go to bed.
posted by cortex at 8:49 PM on October 31, 2005

It begins.
posted by odinsdream at 9:03 PM on October 31, 2005

(offer valid in eastern standard time)
posted by odinsdream at 9:04 PM on October 31, 2005

I have one word so far: Redial.

What's yours?
posted by Manhasset at 9:09 PM on October 31, 2005

My word is "November."

It's a perfectly good name for the eleventh month. I would like to keep it.

"NaNoWriMo," on the other hand, is terrible and stupid and haXX0r1oU5. I can't see how anything produced under the aegis of such a stupid word could possibly be anything but crap.

Write a novel in a month if you like; but do it in November.
posted by ikkyu2 at 10:46 PM on October 31, 2005

Yep, first-timer here (and still up after midnight of night #1 -- taking a break).
posted by dreamsign at 10:54 PM on October 31, 2005

*coughs*
posted by Sticherbeast at 12:44 AM on November 1, 2005

*sneezes*
posted by TwelveTwo at 2:12 AM on November 1, 2005

5:35 PST. Nanowrimo is a stupid name, but then, so is "Albert," and he managed to invent nukes.
posted by cortex at 5:35 AM on November 1, 2005

I did it in 2001. It was hard work, but I'm glad I did it. I'd never written any fiction before, and I think I learned a lot about what goes into writing a novel, things like the kinds of choices an author makes while writing in terms of creating characters and structuring the work and coming up with a narrative voice. In fact, I sometimes felt like all those lit crit papers I wrote in grad school might have been more intelligent if I'd done this then (only it didn't exist then; even the internet was barely there).

I mostly wrote on an IBM notebook while sitting in front of the television watching 80s music videos on VH1 Classics. At my fastest, which was by no means always, I was writing about a thousand words an hour. I had most of the plot figured out beforehand (it was a ripoff of Anthony Trollope novels, with a little Jane Austen on the side), which really helped me move things along, and also helped me to see where I needed to "add more junk" to get to the magic 50,000.

I've been tempted to do it again, but I'm just not willing to commit to so many hours anymore; I was out of work for at least half of November 2001, and all that extra time really helped.
posted by JanetLand at 6:06 AM on November 1, 2005

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

*answers phone*

Oh, it is? Well, never mind, then.

*backspaces*

Crap.
posted by mr_crash_davis at 6:51 AM on November 1, 2005

1226 words, bitches!
posted by cortex at 6:57 AM on November 1, 2005

Pfft. I'm in a little neighborhood called 1,826-town. You may wanna come by some time.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 6:59 AM on November 1, 2005

I'm sorry, RIB, I can't hear you over the the thunderous din of my LITERARY GENIUS.
posted by cortex at 7:06 AM on November 1, 2005

LITERARY GENIUS MORE LIKE LITERARY PENIS ha hahaha!!111one
posted by robocop is bleeding at 7:28 AM on November 1, 2005

I'm starting to think maybe this thread will be the closest thing to a MeFiNaNoWriMo forum we'll get.
posted by cortex at 7:36 AM on November 1, 2005

I'm in, and Genefinder over there as well. I don't see the point of those forums though, as they will detract from my robotic like hunt and pecking of 1667 words a day. Currently I am at 0.
posted by genefinder at 7:44 AM on November 1, 2005

That'll work for me, cortex. I've bookmarked this thread.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 7:57 AM on November 1, 2005

2949 words, each one sexier than the next.
posted by Sticherbeast at 10:07 AM on November 1, 2005

Sticherbeast, you dirty son of a bitch.
posted by cortex at 10:08 AM on November 1, 2005

I'm in. Zero words thus far, all of them perfect. It's all downhill from here.
posted by jmcmurry at 10:46 AM on November 1, 2005

Yes and no. I signed up, but I ain't promisin' nuthin'.
posted by Eideteker at 10:52 AM on November 1, 2005

I'm Eideteker over there, of course. My premise is a novel about teh wikipedia.
posted by Eideteker at 11:11 AM on November 1, 2005

I'm in.
posted by youarejustalittleant at 11:27 AM on November 1, 2005

Eideteker: sweet.
posted by cortex at 11:30 AM on November 1, 2005

I'm doing it, first timer. Started at midnight last night and got 1058 crappy words down...
posted by knave at 12:16 PM on November 1, 2005

I'm going to write the novel of the story of MetaFilter. I'm thinking it will be revolutionary in terms of form. Less of a strict chronological, linear story and more of a long set of individual dialogues happening in parallel, with an overall chronological arc to them. Readers will have the option to skip certain chapters or delve into others. And the exposition will be extremely light - perhaps just one page about what MetaFilter is, etc and then get out of the way and let the dialogue scenes come to life. It practically writes itself!

Published by WGET Publications, © 2005
posted by scarabic at 12:37 PM on November 1, 2005

Readers will have the option to skip certain chapters ...
What about those of us that must compulsively read every single word, no matter how crappy and are incapable of skipping an entire chapter without fear of the sky falling down on us?
posted by dg at 1:45 PM on November 1, 2005

Woo, 3067 words today. I got my celebratory starbucks hot chocolate and everything.
posted by sugarfish at 7:05 PM on November 1, 2005

NanowRimoWilliams!

The fact that these were posted on the same day CANNOT be a mere coincidence.

Oh and I'm, uh, "scarabic" over there.
posted by scarabic at 10:18 PM on November 1, 2005

Mucho computer problems and 2150 rambling, terrible words for entry #1. Ugh.
posted by Manhasset at 11:28 PM on November 1, 2005

I was late in deciding, and am only two-thirds-convinced still, but I've signed up as jenstrumental.
posted by gorillawarfare at 12:27 AM on November 2, 2005

Manhasset, that's better than the 600+ terrible, rambling words I started with one year. Chin up!
posted by cortex at 5:48 AM on November 2, 2005

Woke up this morning with 3658 words. Hope to reach the 5k mark today.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 5:50 AM on November 2, 2005

manhasset: I'm enjoying yours so far.
posted by odinsdream at 6:37 AM on November 2, 2005

1501 words for my first entry but I'm hoping to break the 3.5k mark today.
posted by Stynxno at 6:53 AM on November 2, 2005

4K+, bitches!
posted by cortex at 7:15 AM on November 2, 2005

Some goodies to download, my annual contribution to helping others' NaNo efforts.

Oh, and 5,259 words as of half an hour ago. I'm kicking NaNo butt.
posted by Dreama at 7:57 AM on November 2, 2005

I managed to just clear the daily average, putting out 1669 words on the first day. I'm hoping to get more than that done today, since Thanksgiving (and helping out with a big parade) knocks a few days out for me.
posted by Godbert at 8:17 AM on November 2, 2005

I'm in, same name. Bird flu! Bird flu! 1775 words so far!
posted by fuzzbean at 8:28 AM on November 2, 2005

Neat, Dreama!

odinsdream, thanks. It was more painful to write than usual. I haven't actually reread it yet. I can't believe some of you people have cracked 4 and 5k already.

I haven't popped in and read anyone's yet, though. Hopefully will get to that today.
posted by Manhasset at 8:51 AM on November 2, 2005

Manhasset, I'm with odinsdream: it's good. I could totally pick out the little hurks and jerks that will probably look huge and gaping to you, but for rough draft material it frankly makes me jealous.
posted by cortex at 9:06 AM on November 2, 2005

A long reference shift with few questions just helped me breach 5k. Woot!
posted by robocop is bleeding at 9:12 AM on November 2, 2005

OK, I'm at 1690. Up till Midnight to make sure I got my daily quota done. I think if I stop editing and write, I will get more done. And maybe if I stop watching Smallville DVDs. Or needing a drink. Or a snack.

5K? How long are you people devoting to writing?
posted by genefinder at 9:45 AM on November 2, 2005

I've gotten in about five hours total so far. Breaks and lunch at work, about an hour in the mornings, an hour or two after work yesterday.
posted by cortex at 10:14 AM on November 2, 2005

Same thing here, except I'm also blessed with slow reference shifts in a mostly empty library that lets me get more done.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 10:21 AM on November 2, 2005

Oh. Heh. When you first said, "a long reference shift...helped me breach 5k", I thought you meant that you had changed the frame of reference of your story radically and churned out a bunch of words in that direction.
posted by cortex at 10:26 AM on November 2, 2005

::crabby old person voice:: Bah, what's with all you people writing thousands and thousands of words already! Slow and steady wins the race!

2377 words here. I'm just glad my story seems to be going somewhere.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 10:39 AM on November 2, 2005 [1 favorite]

ThePinkSuperhero, the story going somewhere is everything.

For my part, I cannot depend on enough stability within the fragile ecosystem of my enthusiasms to play the tortoise on this.
posted by cortex at 10:43 AM on November 2, 2005

Ditto. I got Civ IV yesterday. In a choice between writing another thousand words and nuking the Romans, nine out of ten times I'll go with making Ravenna glow.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 10:49 AM on November 2, 2005

Am "mydemand" over there. Two-time winner, third year participating.

I'm writing the novel by hand because I do not have constant access to a computer (I'm travelling). Seems to be an interesting experience, what with my crewmates wanting to read it and all.

There is an Adopt A Plot thread with great idaes over at the forums if you need help.
posted by divabat at 12:05 PM on November 2, 2005

In a choice between writing another thousand words and nuking the Romans, nine out of ten times I'll go with making Ravenna glow.

robocop is bleeding, that is one of the greatest things I've read all day. thank you.
posted by Stynxno at 12:49 PM on November 2, 2005

6830. Apparently writing more than about 3500 words a day makes my brain leak out my ears. I'm at five and a half to six hours in.
posted by sugarfish at 3:42 PM on November 2, 2005

I wish I'd known about this back when I was in school doing shifts at the library - bored out of my mind. It's been difficult enough finding the time to write - I may not finish, but I keep up hope.

I've decided that my first few pages will actually be, instead of my own crappy writing, the crappy writing of my main character, who is trying to write her autobiography. I know - it's so cheap.
posted by odinsdream at 6:09 PM on November 2, 2005

No, no! Run with it! Novels are like an onion, man!
posted by cortex at 6:17 PM on November 2, 2005

3119. I started a day late. I don't expect to 'win' as I'm editing constantly while I write. And, while I sort of know where I want my story to go, I really don't know how to get it there.
posted by The Monkey at 10:16 PM on November 2, 2005

+ 1722 brings me to 3872. Ouch. You people are lapping me.

2 hours 35 mins tonight. I don't know how long 001 took me.
posted by Manhasset at 12:19 AM on November 3, 2005

6354. Chapter 1 is done.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 3:42 AM on November 3, 2005

Man, I think my average chapter length is about 600 words. You philistines, with your cohesive narratives.
posted by cortex at 7:32 AM on November 3, 2005

Ooh, if any of y'all are in the vicinity of PDX, we've got potential nano/meetup crossover here.
posted by cortex at 8:58 AM on November 3, 2005

cortex, thanks for the compliment above. I missed it before.
posted by Manhasset at 9:41 AM on November 3, 2005

Ack!

Tonight I'll make that number GO CRAZY.
posted by Sticherbeast at 10:25 AM on November 3, 2005

2949 words, each one sexier than the next.

Did they get too sexy?
posted by cortex at 10:35 AM on November 3, 2005

Did they get too sexy?

A little. It made me a little nervous. She needs to be a friend AND a lover...
posted by Sticherbeast at 11:12 AM on November 3, 2005

Oh, and cortex, I heart novels with short chapters!
posted by Sticherbeast at 11:12 AM on November 3, 2005

...and he races past 10k with not only grace, but style too!
posted by robocop is bleeding at 11:13 AM on November 3, 2005

robocop is gonna be more than bleeding
posted by cortex at 11:17 AM on November 3, 2005

Doan bwame me! I stub my TooOOooee!
posted by robocop is bleeding at 11:19 AM on November 3, 2005

8196, bitches!
posted by cortex at 5:57 PM on November 3, 2005

I'M A MAN! (Why is easier to write female characters?)

2 hours. 4 vodka and lemons. 2418 words.

6290 total. Cortex, you've got 8196 total, right? Not for your last entry alone.
posted by Manhasset at 1:37 AM on November 4, 2005

Right. I've never typed 8K+ at a stretch in my life.
posted by cortex at 5:28 AM on November 4, 2005

posted by robocop is bleeding at 8:28 AM on November 4, 2005

I am so unimpressed by your wordcount that I can't even be bothered to express my disdain in the right thread.
posted by cortex at 10:51 AM on November 4, 2005

My prose is so awesome it knocked you out of the thread!
posted by robocop is bleeding at 12:14 PM on November 4, 2005

10K? Got nothin' on me.
posted by cortex at 4:49 PM on November 4, 2005

But it's 13k now...
posted by robocop is bleeding at 9:12 PM on November 4, 2005

Man, forgive my language, I've had too much shiraz, but if you're writing that many words a day and your name isn't Stephen King, your words may as well be so much gibberish.

I'm about 1800 words behind my target. But I'm kind of sort of happy with where I'm going right now.

Only, you know, with wayyyy too much dialog.

Waaaayyy.
posted by The Monkey at 2:47 AM on November 5, 2005

The Monkey: but I am Stephen King, and so is my robocop.

And, seriously, there is no such thing as too much dialog. Where do you think that wordcount is coming from?
posted by cortex at 7:32 AM on November 5, 2005

Don't post when drunk kids, bloody cheap Australian wine. They practically give it away.

Honestly, I'm kind of enjoying my endless dialog. So much so that in the middle of one godawful endless scene I included a reference to a Tarantino movie, hating on it for its endless talk. I thought it was funny. But not as funny as when I finally decide if my protagonist is a naive boy or a sneaky lesbian.

The sad truth behind my 'gibberish' criticism is that I'm jealous of your big numbers. Lame, ain't I?

Sorry for having been a hater. I'm over it now though.
posted by The Monkey at 5:18 PM on November 5, 2005

Aw, man, no worries. The sad complement is that I flaunt my big numbers to hide my shame of previous failures.
posted by cortex at 7:35 PM on November 5, 2005

Naw, man. S'okay. I took the day off, nuked some Spaniards, and drank my fair share of shiraz. 13,003, I am fine wit choo.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 8:21 PM on November 5, 2005

I took yesterday "off" as I had to work all day. I pulled in 2k tonight but am too tired to post it. Hopefully I'll get another 2k tomorrow which'll put me at 10k, which is pretty good for 5 entries.

I think I'm the opposite of you folks though. The only reason I attempt prose is to avoid dialogue. I try to use as little of it as I can because I usually spend my time writing screenplays, which are all dialogue. It's a welcome relief to be able to write something that isn't "seen or heard".
posted by Manhasset at 11:15 PM on November 5, 2005

No writing yesterday. "Day off." Now I'm up at 6:30 on a Sunday.
posted by cortex at 6:39 AM on November 6, 2005

I've now resorted to hitting up AskMe for brainstorms. I hope to god I don't have a more pressing What If in the next seven days.
posted by cortex at 8:32 AM on November 6, 2005

Just shy of 16k now. The only voices I have in my head right now are asking me why we're out of wine.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 10:24 AM on November 6, 2005

12,782. Slow couple of days, I'm resorting to exact figures to make myself feel better.
posted by cortex at 11:35 AM on November 7, 2005

Same here. Work has been, like, actually making me work. 17,698. Hope to get up to 20k soon.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 1:13 PM on November 7, 2005

I'm just shy of 14k now - after a little push today, I've caught up with where I should be.

Are either of you editing as you go? I seem to spend almost as much time editing (very, very roughly) as I do writing.
posted by The Monkey at 5:32 AM on November 8, 2005

I have been resisting outright the urge to edit. I get to caught up in it. I'll allow myself a leeetle belt of typo-management now and then, or I'll rework a phrase that came out badly if a better rendition occurs to me when I notice it, but mostly I keep the red pen safely secured.

I just broke 14.5 last night, so obviously this is not saving me as much time as I'd like to think it is.
posted by cortex at 6:10 AM on November 8, 2005

I don't really edit. I may go back and fiddle with descriptions to help with latter scenes, but I don't really restructure or anything.

I'm hoping to cross 20k today.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 9:17 AM on November 8, 2005

I have been lazy posting but am at almost 13k. I edit, but only for slight things like typos and spelling. Otherwise I'd spend 5 times as much time editing as writing.
posted by Manhasset at 10:27 AM on November 8, 2005

cortex, I don't know. My natural production seems to average a bit over 2200 roughly edited words a day. Which is more than enough to 'win', but I don't think 50k is really enough to make a novel, I guess 2300 would give me about 70k, give or take. Also, I don't actually write every day (I started a day late, and I've taken a whole day off so far), so I'll probably finish with the best possible number, let's call it 49860. That'd be awesome.

If I was just spilling words on the page, in a sort of guided stream of conciousness, I have no idea how fast it would be coming out. Very fast. But very, very bad.

I'd probably have given up, to be honest. If I wasn't at all happy with what I've done I don't think I'd be able to continue. As it is, I think it's probably just a bit boring, skirting over all the details some of the time, and focusing on trivial technical details too much at others.

I do find the quick editing process helps me to get back into it quite quickly.

I go over the previous chapter (or more) every time I sit down to write. If it occurs to me that I made horrible mistakes earlier (ie. wait, everyone is talking about this guy like he's the shit, but he's done nothing) I'll go back and insert new material in earlier chapters. This happens a lot.

It can be depressing hacking out a couple of hundred words, but also suprising - rewrite a few lines, cut out a couple of paragraphs, and even after the slashing and burning, I usually come out a little bit ahead.

I think this might be the first glimmering of an important new field of mathematics - and needs a good deal of further research.

I'm looking forward to the finishing process when it's all done. It'll be fun taking this hastily hacked together draft and turning it into something hastily hacked together, but with bodgy clumps of plaster in the biggest cracks, and drippy goopy paint slapped over the top.

I'm including this paragraph to note that, as I've just noticed that I've started every. single. paragraph. with an I.
posted by The Monkey at 3:30 PM on November 8, 2005

I'm looking forward to the finishing process when it's all done. It'll be fun taking this hastily hacked together draft and turning it into something hastily hacked together, but with bodgy clumps of plaster in the biggest cracks, and drippy goopy paint slapped over the top.

Heh. Yeah, every year I feel better about what I've written, and this year I'm feeling like it just might be worth some spackling afterwards.
posted by cortex at 5:04 PM on November 8, 2005

Just cleared 23k. I need to get back to action or dialogue. These exposition scenes are killing me.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 12:12 PM on November 9, 2005

Oh, bleed to death already, Murphy.
posted by cortex at 3:49 PM on November 9, 2005

18.6 btw
posted by cortex at 4:32 PM on November 9, 2005

Bitches, leave.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 7:16 PM on November 9, 2005

After some quiet reflection, Boddicker found, to his surprise, that he missed the bitches and wished he hadn't sent them away.

posted by cortex at 7:44 PM on November 9, 2005

I've had a naughty couple of days, had a great idea for advancing my story to where I need it to go yesterday, but only wrote about 800 words. And today I've been playing with InDesign.

Talk about putting the fucking cart before the horse.
posted by The Monkey at 9:02 PM on November 9, 2005

Horse-cart relations are undeniably complex.
posted by cortex at 12:11 AM on November 10, 2005

On today's episode of Robocop Learns A Lesson, our Hero learns the difference between the Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V keys and their releation to the timing of Gmail auto-saves.

Just lost ~1000 words, knocking me back to ~27000.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 12:49 PM on November 11, 2005

Wait, wait, wait, you're writing a novel in gmail?
posted by The Monkey at 7:28 PM on November 11, 2005

easier to send it to a publisher that way yo
posted by cortex at 7:20 AM on November 12, 2005

t0ld j00 i wuz hardcor3
posted by robocop is bleeding at 3:16 PM on November 12, 2005

I'm writing mine with a fountain pen on post-it notes, every night I break into a publishers office in the city and stick them all up around his computer monitor.

It's going really well, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get a verified word count when I'm done.

My hand keeps cramping up, I'm not sure why it does that, maybe I'll post an askme.
posted by The Monkey at 12:00 AM on November 13, 2005

What a novel thread. Good work, everyone. Clean out your desks.
posted by gramschmidt at 11:04 AM on November 13, 2005

I can't open my hand. Please hope me.
posted by The Monkey at 6:52 PM on November 13, 2005

I just read mine over and posted more of it my site. I have no idea what I'm writing about or where any of this is coming from. I'll probably post the next 'half' in the next few days (posting's a pain in the ass but otherwise I keep editing).
posted by Manhasset at 10:44 PM on November 13, 2005

The Monkey, you're gonna need some ice and a crowbar.
posted by cortex at 7:00 AM on November 14, 2005

Pushing 24K. It was a...bad weekend.
posted by cortex at 4:30 PM on November 14, 2005

Finished four days ago. Suck it haters!

(Kidding about the "suck it" part. Mostly.)
posted by LeeJay at 7:43 PM on November 15, 2005

And technically I still have another 50,000 words or so to go before the story is finished. Only I'm not sure I have the passion to keep going now.
posted by LeeJay at 7:44 PM on November 15, 2005

LeeJay, do you mean you hit 50,000 words and stopped, even though your story wasn't done. Or... Do you mean you were going to write, but a few days ago you decided to quit, and consider that to mean you're finished?

Personally, I've completely lost my groove in the last week, I'm about 7000 words behind my writing schedule.
posted by The Monkey at 1:57 AM on November 16, 2005

LeeJay, do you mean you hit 50,000 words and stopped, even though your story wasn't done. Or... Do you mean you were going to write, but a few days ago you decided to quit, and consider that to mean you're finished?

I hit 50,000 words and now I've run out of steam I think. The story itself is only about half-told and while I have every intention of finishing it at some point, I think I've run out of steam. I might shuck it in a drawer and start to write something else.
posted by LeeJay at 6:55 AM on November 16, 2005

You miserable bast--

That is, a hearty congratulations.
posted by cortex at 6:56 AM on November 16, 2005

26K over here.

miserable bastard
posted by cortex at 7:00 AM on November 16, 2005

Crossed 30k and the fuel is running low. I've resorted to outlining and strict minimums to keep going. I even threw in Tesla as a character and I'm having a hard time racking the wc up.

Congrats on the 50k, LeeJay!
posted by robocop is bleeding at 7:08 AM on November 16, 2005

Threw down about 5000 word today, now I'm only 2.5 days behind. Unfortunately I've run out of post-it notes, so now I'm writing on bed sheets. I hope my partner doesn't find out, I'm going to be in big trouble.

Please call me a doctor.
posted by The Monkey at 1:52 AM on November 17, 2005

Okay, you're a doctor.
posted by cortex at 9:33 AM on November 17, 2005

So any chance of me catching up when I am only at 8k? I'm way way way behind, but I'm banking on some serious time over Thanksgiving.

50k words is harder than I thought it would be.
posted by genefinder at 9:34 AM on November 17, 2005

genefinder, there is always a chance. I have had a number of 3K days. I know people who pull at least a couple of 5Kers during the month. If you're willing and able to do that on a daily basis, you can get to 50K really goddam fast.

LeeJay is our own living example. BE LIKE LEEJAY.
posted by cortex at 10:09 AM on November 17, 2005

genefinder, like cortex says, you could conceivably do it in 10 days.

You only need 3200 words per day.

But you'll have to start writing every day, and throw down a hell of a lot on Thanksgiving (whatever that is) as well.

I knocked out 5k words yesterday, and it was pretty easy, just a few hours. Nothing yet today, but it's only lunchtime.
posted by The Monkey at 3:03 PM on November 17, 2005

So any chance of me catching up when I am only at 8k?

You can definitely do it. If you are a fast writer and have a good feel for your story you could pound it out by the 30th. If you are a slower writer or you're not sure you have enough story for 50,000 words, pad that mother! I'm talking dream sequences, stream-of-consciousness bullshit, story-in-story asides, two hundred word chapter titles, anything to get you going. Just to loosen you up. Once you get a few thousand words of silliness going, I'd be willing to bet you start writing more serious stuff. If it comes down to a choice between giving up reluctantly or being goofy in order to kick start the brain, be goofy.
posted by LeeJay at 5:42 AM on November 18, 2005

Dream sequences aren't padding! They're a totally legitimate narrative device! Dream sequences aren't padding! They're a totally legitimate narrative device! Dream sequences aren't padding! They're a totally legitimate narrative device! Dream sequences aren't padding! They're a totally legitimate narrative device! Dream sequences aren't padding! They're a totally legitimate narrative device!
posted by cortex at 7:17 AM on November 18, 2005

Finished. Urg. After 40k it just became crap. Crap with adjectives.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 6:53 AM on November 21, 2005

Could be worse. Crap with adverbs.

I'm just barely past 30K. I am beginning to worry.
posted by cortex at 8:39 AM on November 21, 2005

I'm barely past 30k and am giving up on the end of month deadline but believe I will actually finish the book. Woohoo!

My personal bests for words/minute is 17k in 24hours for a blogathon and about 7 months ago I wrote a 97 page screenplay in 37 hours straight.

What sucks about this nanowrimo thing is November is a terrible month for me as it's busy with work as clients are racing to finish stuff for year-end.
posted by Manhasset at 10:47 PM on November 21, 2005

Yeah, June would be better. Kids out of school, no holidays to rush for, taxes all done..
posted by robocop is bleeding at 12:47 PM on November 22, 2005

stalled out
posted by cortex at 9:54 AM on November 25, 2005

Done. Yay.
posted by ColdChef at 5:24 PM on November 29, 2005

Congrats to all my fellow writers! The experience has been a good one. I learned that I need to shift POV around a bit when I start to involve multiple characters so as Bob the Hero doesn't need to do everything himself.

Also, the writing has been contagious with the wife now 12k into a wonderous Oz/Buffy/Veronica Mars slash fic of her own devising. I'm not going to comment on the subject matter, but the fact she's so into writing is really, really awesome.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 10:09 AM on November 30, 2005

« Older Selflinker alert   |   Certain links stay in the same page? Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments