Jingle Bell Rock on Here and Now December 24, 2010 10:09 AM   Subscribe

I knew I heard that song somewhere before.
posted by The Devil Tesla at 10:34 AM on December 24, 2010

I have heard this on local radio before.
posted by caddis at 10:34 AM on December 24, 2010

Oh for pete's sake, I had been thinking, maybe for years now "It's a shame that Pink Stainless Tail doesn't come around anymore because that song is genius and makes me happy every single year" but I never did click through to his profile where it says that he's around and active as Lentrohamsanin. I fail at mod today.
posted by jessamyn (staff) at 10:37 AM on December 24, 2010 [1 favorite]

what?
posted by infini at 10:37 AM on December 24, 2010

You're gonna have to be a little more specific.
posted by cortex (staff) at 11:01 AM on December 24, 2010 [4 favorites]

I think I was pwnd but thank god I decided to stop being a lady and started kicking some ass. Thank you.
posted by infini at 11:21 AM on December 24, 2010

Hmmm.

I wish I had this idea earlier but it would be neat to get a whole bunch of Mefites saying "Rock" "Jingle" and "bell" and just cut them together into the song.
posted by The Whelk at 11:31 AM on December 24, 2010 [1 favorite]

Perhaps some definitions for anyone who's having trouble?

PinkStainlessTail = A metafilter user, also known as Lentrohamsanin
Lentrohamsanin = See above.
Jingle Rock Bell = A song recorded by PinkStainlessTail to the tune of Jingle Bell Rock using only the words Jingle, Bell, and Rock.
Here and Now = A radio show commonly heard on NPR affiliate stations in the United States.
Thursday = A day of the week following Wednesday and preceding Friday.
posted by odinsdream at 11:33 AM on December 24, 2010 [7 favorites]

I love love love love love this song. My kids love this song. My nieces and nephews love this song. My wife hates all of us.
posted by ColdChef at 11:34 AM on December 24, 2010 [20 favorites]

Thursday is named after the god Thor who will be presented in an upcoming movie with a controversial casting of Idris Elba as fellow Asgardian Heimdall (controversial = awesome in this context). Thursday is preceded by Wednesday which is also the case in the linage of the gods as Wednesday is named after Wōden (or Odin) Thor's father. It is commonly accepted that Thursdays generally suck, but not as bad as Mondays which are named after the complaining that occurs on the day (literally "Moans-dæg" from the Old High German for "bitching and moaning day"). These are the pagan days. The minority religion Christianity has laid claim to Sunday (the Son's day) which is why there is Church on Sunday. Jewish people who do not believe in Jesus have a six day week which causes some confusion to those outside their culture. Jews that do believe in Jesus (known as Jews for Jesus) have a seven day week. Which is "normal" is still being determined. The remaining days are named after the corresponding day of the week. Friday is Friday, Saturday is Saturday, etc.. Why Thursday, Wednesday, and Monday get special treatment has been lost in time or perhaps deliberately obscured by the pagans (though this view is paganist and should be discouraged).
posted by cjorgensen at 12:22 PM on December 24, 2010 [8 favorites]

"Well, it's clear a song doesn't have to be good to make it to your playlist..."

Slammed!
posted by ODiV at 12:27 PM on December 24, 2010

This song has an undertone of desperation, as if recorded in an only partially successful attempt to keep from going insane during the annual Christmas music onslaught.
posted by longsleeves at 12:44 PM on December 24, 2010

Hmm. I don't say this often but this could very well be the next "keyboard cat".
posted by peppito at 1:04 PM on December 24, 2010

The real story here is Jon Solomon, whose 24 hour Christmas song marathon on WPRB is a terrific Princeton tradition, now available to anyone via the internet. Dude is awesome. I was beyond flattered when he started giving big ups to "Jingle Rock Bell" a few years back.
posted by Lentrohamsanin at 1:48 PM on December 24, 2010

The song is very august.
posted by clavdivs at 2:45 PM on December 24, 2010 [1 favorite]

Lentrohamsanin, you will always be PinkStainlessTail to me. And this song is the MeFi anthem (in my head.)
posted by Secret Life of Gravy at 3:34 PM on December 24, 2010 [2 favorites]

How the heck does this Robin Young person think "Jingle Rock Bell" is a version of "Jingle Bells"?
posted by FelliniBlank at 3:38 PM on December 24, 2010

ODiV: "Well, it's clear a song doesn't have to be good to make it to your playlist..."

FelliniBlank: How the heck does this Robin Young person think "Jingle Rock Bell" is a version of "Jingle Bells"?

Rest assured, her name is now on the list of people first up against the wall come the Yuletide Revolution.
posted by Kattullus at 4:03 PM on December 24, 2010 [1 favorite]

Oh for pete's sake, I had been thinking, maybe for years now "It's a shame that Pink Stainless Tail doesn't come around anymore because that song is genius and makes me happy every single year" but I never did click through to his profile where it says that he's around and active as Lentrohamsanin. I fail at mod today.

Indeed.
posted by Sys Rq at 4:44 PM on December 24, 2010

No worries, it's not a secret or a sensitive matter. I don't even remember why I switched now really.
posted by Lentrohamsanin at 5:21 PM on December 24, 2010

Warning : This track should not be listened to unless you've had at least 7 rum'n'egg-nogs and an unspecified amount of beer and tequila. Your head may explode.
posted by mannequito at 5:55 PM on December 24, 2010

No worries, it's not a secret or a sensitive matter.

But...! But you could get all googly!

And don't you find it just a bit suspicious that jessamyn's name shares a lot of letters with a certain Julian Assange???

What's even spookier is if you take out the letters they don't share, and rearrange them slightly, they spell "my iaa lung"! Just like the Radiohead song! Sort of! If it were sung by someone with a speech impediment, maybe! "And if you're frightened/You can be frightened"!!!!!! Well....frightened yet??????

Dude, you just got WikiLeaked!!! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

HAMBURGER
posted by Sys Rq at 6:27 PM on December 24, 2010 [1 favorite]

More like WikiIncontinent.
posted by Burhanistan at 6:41 PM on December 24, 2010

My family loathes this song. Heh heh heh.
posted by painquale at 7:21 PM on December 24, 2010

PST, I adore you for giving us of that. I am musically inept, but I can improvise like a champ with only three letters.

Sadly, my friends and family - with the exception of the dog, who likes being Noise Buddies - kind of hate you for it.
posted by cmyk at 7:25 PM on December 24, 2010 [1 favorite]

Words. Three words. I am linguistically inept today, too.

But the dog doesn't care. BAROOOOO.
posted by cmyk at 7:26 PM on December 24, 2010

For some reason I always read Pink Stainless Tail as Black Leotard Front, so that version of Jingle Bell Rock wasn't what I was expecting to hear.
posted by UbuRoivas at 7:52 PM on December 24, 2010

Coldchef..that makes me feel good to hear. It makes me feel even better I put it on the mix CD i sent you.
posted by ShawnString at 10:27 PM on December 24, 2010

Jingle Rock Bell = A song recorded by PinkStainlessTail to the tune of Jingle Bell Rock using only the words Jingle, Bell, and Rock

Don't forget "Ringle Jock"

Since 2005 it's joined Pond's version of "Gloria in Excelsis Deo" and The Dandy Warhols' "Little Drummer Boy" (both from a 1994 Pacific Northwest Christmas album) as songs I listen to every Christmas.
posted by D.C. at 12:36 AM on December 25, 2010

Looking back I can't believe that I made that post and it stood. That is certainly testament to the power of that tune to soothe.

And I'm glad to read that there are other advocates. Next year our branch of the family is in charge of the Christmas program for the gathering of the tribe in some church basement or rental hall. Mennonite toes will be circumspectly tapping.
posted by vapidave at 7:37 AM on December 27, 2010

Last year teenage daughter made a ring tone out of a snippet Jingle Rock Bell & we both used it as our December ring tones. I think I was a little bit crazy by the time January arrived.
posted by goshling at 6:29 PM on December 28, 2010

« Older Blame library school, I guess   |   Thanks MeFites Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments