Askme Sidebar Hiding July 14, 2005 8:56 AM   Subscribe

Could a "hide" button be added to the new sidebar in AskMe?
posted by odinsdream to Feature Requests at 8:56 AM (13 comments total)

I know everyone uses the site in their own way, and I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with my contention that the new sidebar really isn't very useful, so I'm not suggesting it disappear completely. Rather, I'd love to see a Hide option that just sets it to display:none; or something along those lines.
posted by odinsdream at 8:58 AM on July 14, 2005

Seems a good idea and easy enough to implement, e.g.:

<input type="button" onclick="sidebar.style.display='none'">
posted by Rothko at 9:10 AM on July 14, 2005

If you just do that, it'll appear each time you change to another page. It would need to be a config entry I think (otherwise, you couldn't bring it back, either, as I'm assuming the button to hide/unhide the sidebar would be on the sidebar itself...)
posted by benzo8 at 9:26 AM on July 14, 2005

Something like this was implemented for the SG ad. I believe the preference was saved in a cookie, so it seems like it would be easy enough to implement.
posted by odinsdream at 10:25 AM on July 14, 2005

<input type="button" onclick="sidebar.style.display='none'; updateCookie(sidebar);">
posted by Rothko at 10:37 AM on July 14, 2005

I'll be adding a cookied link soon.

I'm working on the content in the sidebar, so for now, if you could suggest things that would make it useful to you, that would help me out a great deal.
posted by mathowie (staff) at 10:58 AM on July 14, 2005

I think it would be useful to be able to list all the questions asked on a certain day, so including the last few days as links on the sidebar would be something I'd use. I'm not sure if there is functionality to actually output the results, of course, but I imagine it being something like an abbreviated calendar, just showing the past two weeks. I put this example on another page because tables don't seem to work in comments here.
posted by odinsdream at 11:57 AM on July 14, 2005

I think it would be useful to be able to filter the front page of Ask to see only questions with zero answers, so some of us can peek around and try to help the helpless and befriend the befriendless.
posted by caitlinb at 12:22 PM on July 14, 2005

Matt:

If I could suggest maybe 5 or so spaces of the least frequent tags in the last month. One of the things I love about AskMeFi is the esoteric and obscure questions that appear occasionally. I realize that the frequency for all these tags would be 1, but I'm thinking, if this is possible, of comparing these singular tags to the entire tag set, to determine overall rarity, if that makes sense.
posted by birdsquared at 12:25 PM on July 14, 2005

Rothko writes "<input type='button' onclick='sidebar.style.display="none"; updateCookie(sidebar);'>"

OK that's cool. I still guess that we're assuming the button isn't on the sidebar or this toggles a "show" button, otherwise you'd have to delete the cookie if you decided you wanted the sidebar back...
posted by benzo8 at 12:26 PM on July 14, 2005

odinsdream writes "I think it would be useful to be able to list all the questions asked on a certain day,"

Or alternatively something that showed you a big list of all questions for the past foo days. So that if I slipped off for a long weekend I could hit the "show all posts for the past 4 days" and I'd get a list of everything for the last four days formatted like the old archives pages.

EG: Show last 1,2,3,4,5,6,week,fortnight,month.
posted by Mitheral at 1:06 PM on July 14, 2005

testing character entities (nbsp) within marquee tag with live-preview:

[]                                           -----
[]                                           |

Testing embedded marquees with character entities (nbsp)

[] |
posted by nobody at 8:14 AM on July 21, 2005

result: successfully handled on post.
posted by nobody at 8:14 AM on July 21, 2005

« Older This post is not the best of the web   |   toronto meetup reminder Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments