Metafilter not working on laptop! March 19, 2017 10:53 AM   Subscribe

Metafilter will not work on my laptop!

When I go to post or leave a comment in Firefox I get a "Connection was reset" page. Chrome gives me "the page isn't working" and I get something similar in whatever Microsoft's browser is called. I've cleared my cache and cookies, logged out and back in. I can't leave favorites either, when I hit the button it just says "adding" forever. I'm on Windows 10, it and my browsers are all up to date. Avast free antivirus. Everything works fine on my tablet. Contacted the mods and they suggested a post here (from my tablet of course). Thanks everyone!
posted by marxchivist to Bugs at 10:53 AM (8 comments total)

Putting this through for collective brainstorming/awareness purposes, though frimble has a couple ideas so it's possible we'll solve this in private and public simultaneously.
posted by cortex (staff) at 10:54 AM on March 19

Check for addons or extensions. Disable all of them. See if the page works.

Run a command prompt as an administrator - google how to do this if you are unsure - and run the command "netsh winsock reset" and press enter, then reboot the machine.
posted by disclaimer at 11:14 AM on March 19 [1 favorite]

Test
posted by marxchivist at 11:28 AM on March 19

Well, I did the above comment from my laptop, but tried to post the below comment from laptop and got error message again. From my tablet: I disabled my addons (just had adblock and some avast live security deal.) Also did the reset disclaimer described above. Obviously, I can comment on metatalk and I just left a dot in the Chuck Berry thread, that's more than I could do yesterday. But when I got to do a post and hit preview I get the error page. Favorites still not working either.

And now I see an email from frimble, I guess we're going to try some stuff.
posted by marxchivist at 11:46 AM on March 19

Yeah, I sent my mail out at about the same time that you posted the MetaTalk, just to offer a few preliminary steps.
posted by frimble (staff) at 1:34 PM on March 19

Create a new user on your laptop and see if the behavior is the same?
posted by cjorgensen at 7:23 PM on March 19

$5 same as in town
posted by unliteral at 3:48 AM on March 20

Do you have another Internet-capable device, i.e., a phone, someone else's laptop, etc.? If so, are you experiencing the same problem on that device? If so, it may be your router.
posted by WCityMike at 2:17 PM on March 20

« Older Metatalktail Hour: My Hometown   |   Alexa, play Mefi* music Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments