Paypal update: after two weeks of stalling, it's off to final review. Results should come in a few more days.
Just wanted to give an update to the Paypal/100k user charity drive raffle thing. Roughly in order, here's what happened:
1) throwing the raffle part violated the AUP at paypal, a limit was put in place to remove paypal from the raffle within one week (November 18)
2) I ended the raffle early to make sure it was done before the week was out
3) A second limit was put on the paypal account (November 20) for acting as a nonprofit/official donation channel for the nonprofits (proof required in order to lift)
4) I said that yes, our app violated the AUP and I'd never do it again, so limitation #1 was lifted on November 23.
5) the second limit still stood awaiting official nonprofit status documents from me, or letters from every nonprofit saying I was a designated agent (neither of which I can produce)
6) Limited account means no money can go out to charities, cannot be withdrawn by me, and cannot be refunded to donators.
So basically we're in the last stage limbo, as a paypal rep pushed it to final review today and says a decision will happen within 5 days (weekend days count).
I figure there are few possibilities:
- all donations go back to the donators, then we ask you all to donate as you stated
- we are cleared and allowed to donate to the charities to complete the project
- the mefi paypal account is locked/canceled with funds either returned or allowed for withdraw, we convert to Google Checkout in the future for new users/tshirts
That's about it. I really hate being stuck in limbo for three weeks, I hate having to hold onto everyone's money, and I really wish and hope we can get the donated money to the charities next week. I've emailed and called Paypal several times to no avail, and I'm pretty angry with them.