Omahamefites
June 10, 2010 8:27 PM   Subscribe

Omaha mefites?

Are there any besides me? Would you want to meet up?
posted by wwartorff to MetaFilter Gatherings at 8:27 PM (17 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Yup, looks like cludwig, Ostara, Sfving, ensign_ricky, zedbends, klaruz, agentsarahjane, rainman84, DJWeezy, bayliss, pup and Fezboy! are nearby according to the Metafilter KML map.
posted by WCityMike at 8:41 PM on June 10, 2010

How does one find these maps? And once found, how does one open them?
posted by wwartorff at 8:56 PM on June 10, 2010

Man, I was just in Omaha for a week and dined many times at McFosters on 38th street. I'd meetup there for sure, but alas I'm here instead.
posted by Burhanistan at 8:59 PM on June 10, 2010

wwartorff: How does one find these maps? And once found, how does one open them?

Install Google Earth, choose "Network Link" off the "Insert" menu, and paste in this URL.

Technically, you should be able to look at it by going to Google Maps and just plunking that URL into the search box, but that doesn't seem to work.
posted by WCityMike at 9:02 PM on June 10, 2010

Lock in those Long./Lat. coords on your preferences page, then check profile for magic.
posted by saguaro at 9:38 PM on June 10, 2010

off topic (and apologies): where did that kml map come from and who made it???
i'm freaking out!
posted by artof.mulata at 11:03 PM on June 10, 2010

artof.mulata: off topic (and apologies): where did that kml map come from and who made it???
i'm freaking out!

I'm not an admin, so this isn't official, but it comes from the latitude and longitude you provide in your profile, mapped into a KML file by some process the admins set up. I think it is updated weekly, so, presumably, if you don't want to be listed in there, just blank out the location, latitude and longitude fields in your profile and I'd presume you'd probably be good to go.
posted by WCityMike at 11:18 PM on June 10, 2010

no, no i like it. i just had no idea it was there...
posted by artof.mulata at 11:21 PM on June 10, 2010

I used to live in Omaha, before I was a Mefite. My wife and I are actually going to be there July 28 and 29, and August 1 and 2. A meetup could be fun, if it's a time we don't have other things going on.
posted by roll truck roll at 12:57 AM on June 11, 2010

I live in Lincoln and could maybe make it up to Omaha for a meetup, depending on when it was.
posted by Hypocrite_Lecteur at 7:10 AM on June 11, 2010

I am a former Omahan and try to get back there with some frequency. I'll send up a flag next time I do; perhaps we can meet up.
posted by Astro Zombie at 7:45 AM on June 11, 2010

I'm in Omaha and I'd be up for it.
posted by Ipsifendus at 8:09 AM on June 11, 2010

Looking at that Google Earth Map, I'm curiously sad to see that there aren't any MeFites in Blair. I don't know why, but that bums me out.
posted by COBRA! at 9:29 AM on June 11, 2010

Wow an Omaha meetup. Who knew? I too am a former Omahan (went to junior high and high school there [Westside]) and have tons of family there.
posted by Kimberly at 10:06 AM on June 11, 2010

I'd love that! Count me in!
posted by bayliss at 9:39 AM on June 12, 2010

Howdy! I'd be up for a meetup. Maybe at The Crescent Moon?
posted by Ostara at 7:23 PM on June 12, 2010

I've never actually been there, but that sounds good. Shall we wait until roll truck roll is in town? Maybe some of you former Omahans could schedule a trip here around then as well. Although, a special trip just to meetup with Mefite wankers like me would definitely be going above and beyond ;)

Aside from a general meetup, are any of you into board games? Some friends recently turned my husband and I onto Carcassone, and I'm digging it.
posted by wwartorff at 7:41 PM on June 12, 2010

« Older You've heard cortex's quirky s...  |  What is site policy on posting... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments