Doing it right July 6, 2010 9:12 PM   Subscribe

I want to call this thread out as the best I've seen on AskMe in a while.

Just in case you haven't seen it already, it's worth it to read through to the end. I, for one, will never mispronounce segue again.
posted by emilyd22222 to MetaFilter-Related at 9:12 PM (334 comments total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

It looks like chatfilter to me. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't deleted.
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 9:25 PM on July 6, 2010 [22 favorites]

It's one of those weird questions where if we'd seen it immediately we probably would have axed it, but it's nearly impossible to axe a question that has a hundred answers.
posted by jessamyn (staff) at 9:29 PM on July 6, 2010 [7 favorites]

it's nearly impossible to axe a question that has a hundred answers

Why? It's still crappy, just long and crappy not short and crappy. I mean, I get it that deleting now will leave a lot of people feeling butt-hurt and you guys are totally not paid enough to deal with that on a routine basis, but honestly I think AskMe is a better place the fewer chatty pseudo-questions there are.
posted by Forktine at 9:37 PM on July 6, 2010 [6 favorites]

Man, that's total chatfilter. And I don't have enough time to list all the words that I'm aware of having pronounced wrong anyway. Okay, three: Sioux=Sue-ix, Chaos=Chah-ose, Arkansas=Ark-Kansas.

Chatfilter ruling while we're on the topic: would "What book is your bible? Philosophical, political, even religious-wise, what book has had a fundamental and positive impact on your life and how you perceive and interpret the world around you?" make the cut, and/or has something similar already been asked?
posted by Alvy Ampersand at 9:37 PM on July 6, 2010

Platitudes riding a Segway.
posted by Burhanistan at 9:40 PM on July 6, 2010 [1 favorite]

Also, I thought the word Larynx was pronounced "LarrNICKS". It's actually "LARRinks". Oops.

Well, shit.
posted by Devils Rancher at 9:41 PM on July 6, 2010 [1 favorite]

I had a friend who thought "cajole" was pronounced with an "h" sound as in "cojones".
posted by Burhanistan at 9:41 PM on July 6, 2010 [2 favorites]

I had a friend who thought "cajole" was pronounced with an "h" sound as in "cojones".

Oh god, the second I read that I felt it lodge irretrievably into my brain. I will never sing along to Sloan the same way ever again.
posted by Alvy Ampersand at 9:43 PM on July 6, 2010 [5 favorites]

you guys are totally not paid enough to deal with that on a routine basis, but honestly I think AskMe is a better place the fewer chatty pseudo-questions there are.

I agree. However, we'll tend to err on the "fewer butt-hurt" side and remember to check the flag queue more often in the future. Honestly Matt's in town and I was having ice cream with him so I was a bit asleep at the wheel. Not sure about cortex, I think he is having ice cream now. Time zone difference and all.

Alvy: no.
posted by jessamyn (staff) at 9:45 PM on July 6, 2010 [3 favorites]

Additional to Alvy: just explain what problem you're trying to solve there, what you're lookign for, and you'll be good.
posted by jessamyn (staff) at 9:46 PM on July 6, 2010

Flagged as ironic
posted by not_on_display at 9:46 PM on July 6, 2010

Chatfilter or not, thanks to that thread I found this comment and now I know that when my mouth feels like it is full of sand and bees every time I have some raw apple or almond (all-mond), it is because I have an actual thing and I'm not just being dramatic and/or psychosomatic.
posted by griphus at 9:46 PM on July 6, 2010 [1 favorite]

Dammit! And damn your ice cream!
posted by Alvy Ampersand at 9:47 PM on July 6, 2010

Arkansas=Ark-Kansas.

Bill Bryson wrote a book in which he claimed to have found out that Arkansans call it the Ark-Kansas river.

I laughed and I laughed. Poor sucker.
posted by middleclasstool at 9:50 PM on July 6, 2010 [1 favorite]

Oh god, the second I read that I felt it lodge irretrievably into my brain. I will never sing along to Sloan the same way ever again.

You mean "Coax Me"?
posted by Sys Rq at 9:52 PM on July 6, 2010 [2 favorites]

Yeah, far from being the best AskMe in a while, it should have been deleted. I flagged it.
posted by Justinian at 10:02 PM on July 6, 2010

Aw, shit. You bugger.

Actually, 'What is in my brain that makes it so susceptible to malapropism/eggcorn-type dealies to the point where they frequently bounce around in my head unbidden and I start using them unconsciously in lieu of the proper term or word?' would probably make for a good question. All intensive purposes has been bubbling up a lot, lately.
posted by Alvy Ampersand at 10:02 PM on July 6, 2010

It's similar to this and is certainly one that would be read with great interest.
posted by archivist at 10:02 PM on July 6, 2010 [1 favorite]

I CAN'T. FUCKING. BELIEVE. that people are seriously calling foul on that thread. I mean really? Really? Do you have no love or sunshine in your heart? Are you that concerned with the petty application of arbitrary rules that you can't appreciate one of the COOLEST GODDAMN THINGS I'VE SEEN ALL WEEK?
posted by Afroblanco at 10:08 PM on July 6, 2010 [79 favorites]

I thought that thread was pretty much the definition of Chatfilter and was surprised to see it wasn't deleted.

it's nearly impossible to axe a question that has a hundred answers.

That the question has so many answers and favorites, in spite of it essentially being against the guidelines, only reinforces the false idea in the minds of the many participants that it is a great question for AskMe.

It's similar to this and is certainly one that would be read with great interest.

Chatfilter.
posted by dhammond at 10:09 PM on July 6, 2010 [1 favorite]

Bah. I bet you don't even love puppies.
posted by Afroblanco at 10:09 PM on July 6, 2010 [2 favorites]

All the haters should take to that thread and just post: 'Contributing and/or drawing attention to this thread is the worst thing I ever did done' already.

Also: not really invested one way or another for all intensive purposes in Ark-ansas.
posted by joe lisboa at 10:10 PM on July 6, 2010

I get that it's technically chatfilter, and I understand the need to keep that to a minimum, but it does have a lot of good information in it and I don't see how it hurts the site. It's not as if it sets a precedent and the mods will now be unable to delete chatty questions.

And I just realized that my two contributions to that thread, which were "I stopped using antiperspirant and found I didn't sweat so profusely anymore" and "Holy shit, I never realized I was so fat!", might have given the impression that I'm a stupid, sweaty fat guy. I've definitely been all of those things at one time or another, but not all at the same time. Here's the timeline:

28 years old: Underemployed, underpaid, underfed, sweaty guy. Deodorant revelation.
35 years old: Well paid, very well fed (actually pushing 300 pounds intentionally just so I could say I'd been there), not very sweaty guy. Mirror revelation.
posted by Balonious Assault at 10:11 PM on July 6, 2010

but honestly I think AskMe is a better place the fewer chatty pseudo-questions there are.

We pretty much agree. Like Jess said, that was just one that kind of got by us for a while for random logistical reasons. And, honestly, we're a little more likely to be clement on one of these oddball got-its-steam-up-while-we-weren't-looking things if it's a pretty positive sort of thing that everybody seems to be really enjoying than if it were some sort of awful tear-down weirdness getting out of hand.

So I wouldn't really praise this as "doing it right" in terms of how AskMe should function—it's more "squeaking by while doing it wrong" than anything—but as far as that goes it is a fairly neat thread, so that's nice.

Not sure about cortex, I think he is having ice cream now.

I went with a White Russian instead. It's like ice cream that you can drink and that high fives you afterward.
posted by cortex (staff) at 10:12 PM on July 6, 2010 [32 favorites]

I wonder if it might not be smart, rather than just posting things like "ChatFilter" in those kinds of threads, to link to metachat itself. I've been a MeFite since '04, and a lurker before then, and I had no idea that metachat existed until this year. If more people knew about it, they might learn what kind of discussion is appropriate where.
posted by tzikeh at 10:13 PM on July 6, 2010 [1 favorite]

I believe this might be one of the things you're doing wrong.

/bacon burger with blue cheese.
posted by Ghidorah at 10:15 PM on July 6, 2010

Are you that concerned with the petty application of arbitrary rules that you can't appreciate one of the COOLEST GODDAMN THINGS I'VE SEEN ALL WEEK?

The last time I tried to use this line I had to spend two weeks in county and pay a fine.
posted by griphus at 10:15 PM on July 6, 2010 [23 favorites]

Metafilter: It's like ice cream that you can drink and that high fives you afterward.
posted by special-k at 10:22 PM on July 6, 2010 [6 favorites]

I really couldn't care less what words people pronounce wrong. The whole concept of that thread totally raised my hackles it was so chatfilter-y. And I didn't even bother to go inside to make sure that it was as bad as I was expecting until now. And lo, it was chatty and pointless.

It feels like it would be better served as a twitter hashtag or something.

I must hate puppies.
posted by that girl at 10:23 PM on July 6, 2010

It was total chatfilter, but oh well. If you liked it, you might enjoy the 360-page, 2.5 year running thread 'Stuff you can't believe you just figured out' on the SomethingAwful forums.
posted by PercussivePaul at 10:28 PM on July 6, 2010 [3 favorites]

I must hate puppies.

Why? They are delicious!

(I'm pretty sure it's been at least a week since my last 'puppies are delicious' joke ... Yes! — I'll try not to make a habit of it, though.)
posted by Sys Rq at 10:30 PM on July 6, 2010 [1 favorite]

Have you ever tried to render enough puppy fat to deep fry kittens in? It takes a lot of puppies. I wish someone would've told me that earlier.
posted by Burhanistan at 10:35 PM on July 6, 2010 [15 favorites]

Oh my God, learning the correct pronunciation of "segue" has suddenly opened my eyes to the worldplay of the naming of the "Segway."

WHAT IS THIS CRAZY PLACE
posted by schroedinger at 10:41 PM on July 6, 2010

Yeah, you're pretty much relegated to sautéing kittens, unfortunately.
posted by Sys Rq at 10:45 PM on July 6, 2010

You all already knew about cilantro? But I just learned that this weekend! Why didn't anyone tell me?
posted by bluedaisy at 10:48 PM on July 6, 2010

Metafilter: errs on the "fewer butt-hurt" side
posted by killdevil at 10:50 PM on July 6, 2010

Puppies may be delicious, but around here, purchasing puppies for slaughter is not very cost-effective. While the teacup weiner dogs may actually fit in a regular-sized hot dog bun, that's a pretty high fur-and-bone to meat ratio.
posted by that girl at 10:51 PM on July 6, 2010 [1 favorite]

You just put them in a blender and eat the ground up bones, silly.
posted by Burhanistan at 10:53 PM on July 6, 2010

Butbutbut hair! And $500 per kg is too expensive!
posted by that girl at 11:01 PM on July 6, 2010

I'd suggest simply skinning them, but of course with a miniature dachshund you'd want to keep the crispy skin. You have to marinate them in a mixture of Worcestershire sauce, honey mustard, and Nair.
posted by Sys Rq at 11:10 PM on July 6, 2010

(I still haven't figured out how to work the packs of six buns to the litter of eight, though.)
posted by Sys Rq at 11:11 PM on July 6, 2010 [1 favorite]

Are you that concerned with the petty application of arbitrary rules that you can't appreciate one of the COOLEST GODDAMN THINGS I'VE SEEN ALL WEEK?

Arbitrary rules applied with wisdom by good people is what makes the world go around. In this case the arbitrary rules would correctly say that the thread is chatfilter and should be axed. Because cortex and jessamyn are good people the thread stayed because it had so many comments by the time it came up for consideration.

That crappy out of place threads are among the most popular is no surprise. If you posted an AskMe that read, in full, "HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY AWESOME CAT. WILL YOU POST PICTURES OF YOUR AWESOME KITTIES?!?!?!?!11!?!111?" it would be incredibly popular. A tsunami of awesome cat pictures would follow. And yet the thread should and would be deleted.

Compare Usenet: the most popular threads on almost every newsgroup regardless of topic were almost always threads arguing about politics. Gun control, evolution, and so on. To the point where they drowned out the actual on-topic threads.

So, yeah, chatfilter like this is popular. That doesn't mean it's good or appropriate for Ask Metafilter. It would probably do well on some place like Metachat.
posted by Justinian at 11:16 PM on July 6, 2010 [7 favorites]

it's nearly impossible to axe a question that has a hundred answers

If you don't know, you best axe somebody.
posted by drjimmy11 at 11:19 PM on July 6, 2010 [2 favorites]

If you posted an AskMe that read, in full, "HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY AWESOME CAT. WILL YOU POST PICTURES OF YOUR AWESOME KITTIES?!?!?!?!11!?!111?"

STARTING THIS POST RIGHT NOW.

oh man cat thread
posted by Mikey-San at 11:23 PM on July 6, 2010 [3 favorites]

I dunno, I guess having been here a number of years, it's a little harder for me to take the whole chatfilter thing seriously. I mean, look back at AskMe from 3-4 years ago. LOTS of chatfilter. LOTS of back-and-forth conversation within the threads. I don't know when it changed, maybe a couple years ago, probably around the time that the Dinosaur Media started taking notice of the *fi sites and featuring us in their lists and crap.

I mean, I understand that it's a sensible policy for AskMe-As-A-Resource, even if it is a bit annoying for AskMe-As-A-Community. I respect the mods and I respect their decision making. Tradeoffs are made.

Still, that will not in anyway prevent me from rejoicing when a ray of funlight shines through the clouds and we get things like the SERIOUSLY FUCKING AWESOME thread in question.

Think of this as our Chatfilter Saturnalia. FUCK YEAH.
posted by Afroblanco at 11:26 PM on July 6, 2010 [13 favorites]

If you don't know, you best axe somebody.

That explains Lizzie Bordon...
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 11:26 PM on July 6, 2010

I never realized I was supposed to have love or sunshine in my heart.
posted by sanko at 11:30 PM on July 6, 2010 [3 favorites]

Is it really chatfilter? This question fits a familiar pattern of enumerating things in a particular set. It does invite more conversation than a typical AskMe problem-solving post, but the answers are more collaborative than standard-issue "let's opine about $broad_subjective_topic!" chatfilter.

I really like this sort of question, especially when it covers a subject that's useful to a wide audience --- clearly evidenced in that thread by the minor epiphanies going off like my neighbor's leftover illegal fireworks. It would be a shame to zap them all with a blanket policy.
posted by qxntpqbbbqxl at 11:33 PM on July 6, 2010 [4 favorites]

If there's no problem to be solved, and if there's no way to recognize the right answer when it comes by, then it's chatfilter.
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 11:50 PM on July 6, 2010 [2 favorites]

That fact that a glaringly obvious chatfilter question was allowed to stand made me feel all cranky, but then I realized that I was just jealous that I wasn't the one who got away with it. I have lots of questions similar to that one floating around in my brain, but I'm too scared to ask them for fear of the shame of deletion.

Oh, and regarding the ArkanSAW versus ARKansas pronunciations. Here in plain old Kansas, we have the ARKansas River (sometimes with an arKANsas variation) and ARKansas City (which gets shortened to Ark City). The only thing we pronounce as ArkanSAW is the actual state.
posted by amyms at 11:58 PM on July 6, 2010

If there's no problem to be solved, and if there's no way to recognize the right answer when it comes by, then it's chatfilter.

This. I think sometimes "tell me about your experiences with X" are great AskMes, because in that range of real-life experiences one can find solutions to try and new perspectives. But pure chatty "let's all chat about XYZ" are crap and should be deleted with extreme prejudice.

And yes, the chatty stuff is super popular... but like Justinian says, it isn't right for AskMe. Post an article or blog entry about it to MeFi, or enjoy the chattiness on a site where it's encouraged (MetaChat, say). But keep it out of AskMe.

I've been a member for four years, and a reader much longer than that. The boundaries of what's considered appropriate have definitely shifted as the site has grown and matured, but this has never been the right place for endless cat photo discussions.
posted by Forktine at 11:58 PM on July 6, 2010

this has never been the right place for endless cat photo discussions.

Cat scans, on the other hand, are fine.
posted by armage at 12:41 AM on July 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

Yet if the question had started with: "I'm writing a book and the main character needs to discover something he can't believe he just found out...", few if any people would be expressing concern. It's odd the majority of people on MeFi (I think) would espouse a "live in the grey" ethos (the grey area of existence, not "the grey" of MeTa) many seem to want to enforce very black and white rules.

Earlier today I noticed the thread but got distracted and then couldn't find it 30 minutes later upon a cursory search so thought to myself: "Ah, it got deleted because it's chatfilter". When I saw that I was just a dumbass and simply didn't notice it right in front of me on the screen, I read through all 200+ comments and thought: "Damn, I'm glad that didn't get deleted! This is really interesting!" Come on. Unclench a little bit. It's a fun and interesting thread and the world isn't going to end if it gets left up there.
posted by lazywhinerkid at 12:42 AM on July 7, 2010 [4 favorites]

What confuses me is how those people got their cats wedged into their Segways, or why.
posted by tzikeh at 12:44 AM on July 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

qxntpqbbbqxl: “Is it really chatfilter? This question fits a familiar pattern of enumerating things in a particular set.”

Heh. So does every chatfilter question ever. "Please list all the things in the set 'your opinions about this picture of snowball, my cat.'" "Please list all the things in the set 'neat stuff you couldn't do without.'" "Please list all the things in the set 'the wrong things that people do that break our hearts.'" Ask would be pointless and lame if those kinds of questions were allowed.

“I really like this sort of question, especially when it covers a subject that's useful to a wide audience --- clearly evidenced in that thread by the minor epiphanies going off like my neighbor's leftover illegal fireworks. It would be a shame to zap them all with a blanket policy.”

I thought the thread in question was a huge waste of time. I have all kinds of ways in which I'm oblivious; they aren't minor miracles. Metafilter doesn't exist to point out stuff that's a little neat. It's not a motivational cat poster that somebody at work who thinks we all need a pick-me-up pins to the announcement board. Metafilter is supposed to be more than the 'huh... that's sort of interesting...' that you get from reading a witty greeting card.

If, however, what you want is a witty greeting card, then you should check out the Something Awful thread PercussivePaul linked above. It's actually much better than the "what words did you say wrong?" thread we had here. Believe it or not, they do this sort of thing a hell of a lot better over there, because they're a free-form community that doesn't have any standards or goals.

Afroblanco: “I CAN'T. FUCKING. BELIEVE. that people are seriously calling foul on that thread. I mean really? Really? Do you have no love or sunshine in your heart? Are you that concerned with the petty application of arbitrary rules that you can't appreciate one of the COOLEST GODDAMN THINGS I'VE SEEN ALL WEEK?”

Seriously? You, Afroblanco, fell for this stuff? I get lists like that thread forwarded to me in my email weekly. What's so stupendous about it? I've looked it over several times, and I don't get it.

Honestly, when I clicked through, I was certain, dead-on certain that the thread people were all happy and excited about was going to be this. That is a really interesting, broad, crazy Metafilter thread, if you ask me. Just contentious enough to be interesting, but everybody's actually keeping it cool (though I guess the mods might've been through it a few times, I dunno). And some really great stuff, too. A much better thread, overall.

I've said it before: the perfect Ask thread has only one answer, and it's the right answer. The perfect Ask thread doesn't have five hundred answers. That just means five hundred people have failed.
posted by koeselitz at 12:55 AM on July 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

Also: there is no proper way to pronounce "segue." Pronounce it any way you damned like. You can pronounce it "potatoes" if it pleases you.
posted by koeselitz at 1:00 AM on July 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

Okay, speaking of pronunciation, my kids love reading "Puss in Boots" but no one in our house knows how to pronounce "Marquis". Is it mar-kees? Markwees? Something completely arbitrary?
posted by tracicle at 2:30 AM on July 7, 2010

That banana video is ridiculous! I like how the guy does the standard infomercial thing at the beginning where like suddenly he is just COMPLETELY UNABLE to open a banana from the stem, miming digging his teeth into it, like this something we've all done. The viewer is, I guess, sitting there, nodding, going, "Yes! I've always had a great deal of difficulty opening a banana! All around me, people without my trembling mitten-hands seem to do it okay, but me, I've always hoped that someone would show me how to do it that won't leave me angry, cursing at the strands of banana peel dangling from my teeth."
posted by Greg Nog at 2:37 AM on July 7, 2010 [3 favorites]

If you posted an AskMe that read, in full, "HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY AWESOME CAT. WILL YOU POST PICTURES OF YOUR AWESOME KITTIES?!?!?!?!11!?!111?" it would be incredibly popular.

We did it in metatalk instead. (although now it's winter Mandy is the cutest)

I don't mind a little chat occasionally as long as it's not stupid stereotypes. I'm glad it's not around all the time (or even very often) but I liked that thread.
posted by shelleycat at 2:46 AM on July 7, 2010 [2 favorites]

Tracicle: I've always known it to pronounced "mar-kee".

This seems to agree.
posted by Philby at 2:57 AM on July 7, 2010

oops... "to be pronounced".

On closer inspection, this site seems to suggest that mark-wis and mar-kee are both acceptable.
posted by Philby at 3:19 AM on July 7, 2010

Ironic that, at least according to the OP, "best I've seen on AskMe in a while" is the one most of you think should have been deleted. Clearly, the rest of you must be aiming for the merely mediocre.
posted by crunchland at 3:28 AM on July 7, 2010

mar-KEE, accent on the second syllable.

Like Marquis de Marc, not like Marky Mark.
posted by marsha56 at 3:41 AM on July 7, 2010 [2 favorites]

amyms: I have lots of questions similar to that one floating around in my brain, but I'm too scared to ask them for fear of the shame of deletion.

Oh you poor dear. One of the things I wish I'd known earlier was that it's not so bad, being deleted, and there's no shame in asking.
posted by carsonb at 3:59 AM on July 7, 2010

Two of the things.
posted by carsonb at 4:00 AM on July 7, 2010

My family comes from Kansas, and my grandparents lived in Arkansas for a while. Everyone pronounced the state ar-kan-SAW, but in the state of Kansas, it's the Our-Kansas river.

Some of the questions that are borderline (or unabashed) chatfilter, but stay up for whatever reason, become super crazy popular. We like talking about our experiences! I think the rule against chatfilter is a good one, but sometimes a technically-chatfilter question can lead to a great discussion.

Know what I'd love? Once a year, we could have a Chatfilter Day when chatfilter is A-OK! Maybe, if the mods are on board with it and it's not too much work, there could be some sort of process where all Chatfilter Day questions are submitted a week in advance, and only one per user is allowed, and the mods approve maybe fifty and post them all under a special chatfilter-only sockpuppet. Something like that.

(Before that happens, I am going to use my next question to inquire about these mysterious "cats" I know nothing about. What are they? What do they look like? Why do people consider them so cute? What are some of their strange and adorable behaviors? IT IS A PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED.)
posted by Metroid Baby at 4:14 AM on July 7, 2010 [5 favorites]

Why do people become proctologists?
posted by fixedgear at 4:18 AM on July 7, 2010

The mods are total softies. Now how can we exploit this?
posted by Eideteker at 4:36 AM on July 7, 2010

Let's face it: the thread was pretty cool, and it was chatfilter that should have been deleted under the written guidelines.

Clearly, there are factors outside the written guidelines that affect whether a thread gets deleted.
posted by Jaltcoh at 4:38 AM on July 7, 2010 [2 favorites]

The mods are total softies. Now how can we exploit this?

Matt+flight+ice cream+white russians
posted by new brand day at 4:53 AM on July 7, 2010

Has anyone asked this guy whether he intends to use contributions to the thread on his podcast? Having clicked through to his profile and found that he has some media presence it seemed initially to me like he was collecting information for a radio project, but maybe I'm also too cynical.
posted by The Straightener at 5:19 AM on July 7, 2010

Know what I'd love? Once a year, we could have a Chatfilter Day when chatfilter is A-OK!

Ooooh, I love this idea. July 6th, in honor of 'You were doing it wrong' thread. I'll bring the White Russians, you bring the Ice Cream.
posted by marsha56 at 5:21 AM on July 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

Also: there is no proper way to pronounce "segue." Pronounce it any way you damned like. You can pronounce it "potatoes" if it pleases you.

The whole point of language is to find an agreeable way to communicate. Sure, you can go around breaking all the rules you want, but then you end up with people like me who look at "segue" and don't associate it with its meaning and then we're not communicating; we're talking past one another. We might as well be drooling.

There is nuance, and then there is flat out being wrong, and until yesterday I was dead wrong on segue.
posted by Hiker at 5:23 AM on July 7, 2010 [3 favorites]

"Know what I'd love? Once a year, we could have a Chatfilter Day when chatfilter is A-OK!"

Or, you could visit MetaChat where chatfilter is A-OK every day. I'm not a proponent of using MetaChat as a MeFi dumping ground, but folks who are seriously interested in the community are always welcome.
posted by Eideteker at 5:25 AM on July 7, 2010

As a pseudo-French-MAN, I always was to say eet SHAT feel-TAIRR. Am I not the feels like seely now?
posted by pracowity at 5:30 AM on July 7, 2010

it's nearly impossible to axe a question that has a hundred answers.

Duh, the correct spelling is aks.
posted by UbuRoivas at 5:34 AM on July 7, 2010

Okay, speaking of pronunciation, my kids love reading "Puss in Boots" but no one in our house knows how to pronounce "Marquis". Is it mar-kees? Markwees? Something completely arbitrary?

Neither. It's markEE, like Mark E, as in Marquis Cha-Cha.
posted by UbuRoivas at 5:42 AM on July 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

And finally:

What confuses me is how those people got their cats wedged into their Segways, or why.

Segway cat polo!
posted by UbuRoivas at 5:45 AM on July 7, 2010

you guys are totally not paid enough to deal with that on a routine basis, but honestly I think AskMe is a better place the with a fewer chatty pseudo-questions. there are.

FTFY
posted by blue_beetle at 5:52 AM on July 7, 2010

Kiwi skin is delicious. And healthy! Just rinse them first. Mmmmm it's like a peach, but EVEN FUZZIER!
posted by Grither at 5:55 AM on July 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

SERIOUSLY FUCKING AWESOME thread in question.

Eh, I think it's an interesting question to chat about with your friends, but the actual answers aren't that awesome. Multiple people don't know how to tie their shoes properly? People don't know how to pronounce words that they've only read in books?

Anyways, if you are really into this kind of thing, there is a 7000 comment thread on Something Awful about it that's going on three years: Stuff you can't believe you just figured out.
posted by smackfu at 6:01 AM on July 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

Have you ever tried to render enough puppy fat to deep fry kittens in? It takes a lot of puppies. I wish someone would've told me that earlier.

Stop by my latest dwarf fortress, "Inkyjewel". I've got freaking BARRELS of puppy fat. My butchery's working as fast as possible and can barely keep the puppy population in line. But man, the leather is soooooo soft.
posted by BeerFilter at 6:14 AM on July 7, 2010

By the way, we are going to get royalties when XKCD starts mining the thread for content, right?
posted by griphus at 6:19 AM on July 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

> But man, the leather is soooooo soft.

I'm sure puppy leather is soft, but I don't think you could make many useful large leather goods with it. I mean, I'd love a puppy leather living room set, but since their hides are so small there would be a lot of stitch work. Now, I could go for a pair of puppy moccasins or a puppyskin wallet or iPhone case. I guess that's your market. We can dream about puppyskin sofas, though. Thanks for the fat source. That's enough fat to make life-sized puppy candles with.
posted by Burhanistan at 6:29 AM on July 7, 2010

Minks aren't much bigger than puppies. Just sayin'.
posted by smackfu at 6:36 AM on July 7, 2010

Chatfilter ruling while we're on the topic: would "What book is your bible? Philosophical, political, even religious-wise, what book has had a fundamental and positive impact on your life and how you perceive and interpret the world around you?" make the cut, and/or has something similar already been asked?

I was going to say that it's Been asked already, but there's probably enough difference there to not get deleted as a double.
posted by ArgentCorvid at 6:52 AM on July 7, 2010

WEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAK.
posted by Admiral Haddock at 6:57 AM on July 7, 2010

I'm going to invoke the "guidelines, not rules" meta-guideline on this one. I.e., the fact that about the only hard and fast rule around here is "no self-linking in FPPs" and pretty much everything else is a guideline, and as such, has occasional exceptions.

This question is totally chatfilter, and it should be kept. It should have been kept even if the mods saw a dozen flags on it when it only had three answers up.

At least 99% of questions that meet the "chatfilter" criteria should be deleted, regardless of whether they have one answer or a hundred when the mods see them. This question is in the other <1%.
posted by DevilsAdvocate at 7:05 AM on July 7, 2010 [2 favorites]

Think of this as our Chatfilter Saturnalia. FUCK YEAH.

RUNS THROUGH THREAD SCREAMING AND RIPPING CLOTHES OFF.
posted by The Whelk at 7:33 AM on July 7, 2010 [2 favorites]

> Okay, speaking of pronunciation, my kids love reading "Puss in Boots" but no one in our house knows how to pronounce "Marquis". Is it mar-kees? Markwees? Something completely arbitrary?

MAR-kwiss.

> mar-KEE, accent on the second syllable.

No, that's French.
posted by languagehat at 7:34 AM on July 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

At least 99% of questions that meet the "chatfilter" criteria should be deleted, regardless of whether they have one answer or a hundred when the mods see them.

A lot of the questions in that other 1% are some of the most popular AskMe questions of all time. For instance, this is blatant chatfilter; 648 favorites. Same with this -- 540 favorites.
posted by Jaltcoh at 7:37 AM on July 7, 2010

I was going to say that it's Been asked already, but there's probably enough difference there to not get deleted as a double.

Huh? Those aren't the same question at all. One is about books that shaped your worldview or affected your life; the other is about books that explain complex disciplines to laypersons.

And "deleted as a double" never applies in AskMe.
posted by Jaltcoh at 7:41 AM on July 7, 2010

Just one more reason why favorite are almost always an indication of painful mediocrity.
posted by koeselitz at 7:42 AM on July 7, 2010 [10 favorites]

No, that's French.

So pronounce it French-like and get your continentalism on!
posted by Alvy Ampersand at 7:43 AM on July 7, 2010

Thank you, languagehat.

Although I'll always say Markee with a faint (probably bad) French accent, I knew that I hadn't been hallucinating when I was sure that I'd heard it pronounced Markwiss before.

I'm not likely to meet a Marquis soon at any rate but if I do I'll be sure to take note of his nationality before exposing myself to ridicule. Actually, I'd probably just say 'hello' and bob a little curtsey (in a totally ironic fashion of course because you know it's all just hyperbole and crumbling ruins) and refuse to say his title out loud.

But I'd be thinking of Georgette Heyer while I did it.
posted by h00py at 7:48 AM on July 7, 2010

Painful mediocrity.. oh, sigh. You insensitive clod, some of us are painfully mediocre!
posted by h00py at 7:49 AM on July 7, 2010

> mar-KEE, accent on the second syllable.

No, that's French.

Yeah, but how do you pronounce garage?

Anyway, here's an earworm from a band as cute as a basket of kittens ready for the deep-fryer.
posted by maudlin at 7:50 AM on July 7, 2010

Heh, it made me feel very smug as a non-native speaker about my command of English.
But recently I noticed that I was using 'to pledge fielty to' in a facebook comment and that I didn't know how to say that in my native tongue. So that humbled me the other way.
And the spelling is 'fealty'. So there.
posted by joost de vries at 7:50 AM on July 7, 2010

I didn't like that thread because I know how to pronounce "awry" and "segue" and I know how to tie my shoes.

And since, statistically, I'm dumber than most people here, that means that I must have some huge blind spot that I'm unaware of. Something I've been doing and I still haven't realized that, one of these days, I'm going to have a real fore-head slapping moment and say "Oh, you aren't supposed to use gasoline cologne on sparkler night?"

I wasn't aware of it before, but now I feel like I'm standing on thin ice just waiting...
posted by quin at 7:54 AM on July 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

I'd just like to declare that I knew how to pronounce segue.
posted by rabidsegue at 7:58 AM on July 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

I just learned yesterday how to pronounce "clerestory" but I like my way better