The link to the MPR broadcast of the speech, which you have clearly not even listened to the first minute of, says it took place in front of a large crowd at Stillwater Junior High School.
House Republicans are reexamining state funding for some key arts and cultural heritage groups -- a move that may take political aim at Minnesota Public Radio, the Minnesota Zoo and other entities that have gotten special appropriations.
Neil Gaiman received this sum for a speaking engagement at a Stillwater, MN high school
So. I was asked if I’d come and talk at Stillwater, and be paid $40,000. I said, “That’s an awful lot of money for a little library.”
“It’s not from the library. It’s from the Legacy Fund, a Minnesota tax allocation that allows the library to pay market rates to bring authors to suburban libraries who otherwise wouldn’t be able to bring them in. They have to use the money now as it won’t roll over to next year and expires next month.”
- Oh shit!
- There's another $45,000 here that we forgot to spend!
- How could you miss that! It's 4:57 - we've only got three minutes left to spend it!
- I know! I know! what are we going to do? Oh god, it's 4:58!!
- We're doomed, doomed...no! wait! I have an idea!
- What is it? What!
- What are you doing?!
- You said kneel...
- No, fool...Neil Gaiman.
- Neil Gaiman! Why didn't I think of that?!
- Because I'm the one with the brains in this relationship. Get dialing.
- But it's a pushbutton phone...
Buy a Shirt