It's time to sign up for the no-stress extended remix MeFiSwap!
posted by carsonb to MetaFilter-Related at 8:53 AM (112 comments total)
16 users marked this as a favorite
So you make a mix. Of music. (On the already-antiquated CD-R medium.)
And you mail it out to 5 other MeFites.
And those 5 do the same thing, so 5 mixes show up in your mailbox soon.
And everyone's happiness is increased by 5 mixes.
[THIS IS GOOD.]
- Swapsets consist of 6 people. You mail out 5 copies of your mix to the other swapset members, and in return you get 5 different mixes mailed to you.
- We swap audio CD-Rs. Your swapmates should be able to put the disc you send them into just about any CD player and have it work. If you want to swap data discs (loaded with .mp3s) or tapes or 8-tracks or something and enough are interested, I can set up a side-swap. Please do not send any media other than a music CD-R without running it by your swapset first.
- If you signed up to participate last time but didn't mail out your mix, you are not invited to swap again you damned mooch. Maximum pukka is attained through 100% participation. If you sign up to participate this time, do so with the full intention of mailing out at least 5 mix CDs within ~6 weeks from today. If you didn't get all 5 mixes in a previous swap, feel free to email me so I can keep track of who's eligible to swap again and who's not.
- You will probably have to send at least one piece of mail overseas, and if you live outside the USA, you will most definitely be asked to mail most of your packages to foreign countries. Special requests regarding mail should be included in your sign-up email.
- Communication is important so if you can't get your mixes out by the mailing deadline (see below), let me or the other members of your swapset know.
- Sign-ups close in ~2 weeks on Saturday, December 10.
Swapset assignments will go out shortly thereafter via email.
- The mailing deadline won't be until the first weekend in February: Saturday, February 4th
That's plenty of time, even accounting for the Holidays, right? (Happy Holidays!)
- However, the sooner you mail out your mixes, the better!
>>>>>>> To sign up send me:
- What should I put on my mix? → Music! Music you love! Music you think people should hear. Music that sounds good!
- Is there a theme? → Yes! It's music! I mean, no! There's no theme except the one you choose. Even though swapset names might have a theme, that shouldn't necessarily dictate the theme of your mix.
- How do I package and mail these mixes? → Padded mailers work best (and recycled ones even better!) but, as long as you can rest assured that your delicate CD-Rs will arrive at their destination in playable condition, pretty much anything goes.
- Do I need to include liner notes? → You don't need to do anything other than mail 5 mixes to your swapmates, but putting some effort into making it look nice is certainly not discouraged. ;)
- Can I be in more than one swapset? → Sure! Just mention it in your sign-up email and I'll put you in two swapsets. You'll need to mail out a total of 10 copies of your mix though, so be prepared for that.
- Didn't you just copy and paste all this from the previous sign-up thread? → Mostly, yeah. Hopefully I changed all the dates right.
- If you have any other specific requests or restraints, please include them in your sign-up email. I will honor them the best I can, but no promises. I'll be around here to answer any other questions or concerns.
- YOUR MEFI USERNAME
- YOUR POSTAL MAILING ADDRESS at:
tediseasy [at] gmail [doot] com
(PLEASE NO MEMAIL)
I will reply with a form letter confirmation saying something along the lines of 'You're signed up to swap!' and acknowledging any special requests.
Yay, happy swapping!