Hi if you're interested in making a mix of some music, burning it to a CD-R, and mailing it to 5 other MeFites, I'm interested in facilitating your experience. Come inside for the MeFiSwap 2012-2 details.
posted by carsonb to MetaFilter-Related at 8:27 AM (118 comments total)
26 users marked this as a favorite
Somewhere in this huge block of text I tell you how to sign up for the swap.
TL;DR: go back to the top and read the guidelines.
>>>>>>>OK so to sign up email me 2 pieces of information,
- Swapsets consist of 6 MeFites. You make and mail out 5 copies of your mix to the other swapset members, and in return you get 5 different mixes mailed to you.
- We swap audio CD-Rs. Your swapmates should be able to put the disc you send them into just about any CD player and have it work. If you want to swap data discs (loaded with .mp3s or whatever filetype is dominant this year) or tapes or 8-tracks something and enough are interested, I can set up a side-swap. This has yet to happen as there has been little interest thus far. Please do not send any media other than a music CD-R without running it by your swapset first. This swap is old-school in this regard, it is known and noted that in our modern age there are more convenient ways to swap music. For the purposes of this swap, however, CD-Rs and snail mail are the rule.
- If you sign up to participate for this swap, you agree to participate in good faith and mail out 5 mix CDs to your swapmates within ~6 weeks from today.
- If you signed up to participate last time (or a time before) but didn't mail out your mix, you are not invited to swap again you damned mooch! However, if you'd like to attempt to get a swap out to your old swapset and regain eligibility please email me and we can talk.
- If you didn't get all 5 mixes in a previous swap please email me so I can keep track of who's eligible to swap again and who's not.
- You will probably have to send at least one piece of mail overseas, and if you live outside the USA, you will most definitely be asked to mail most of your packages to foreign countries. Please do not sign up to participate if you are not prepared to mail 5 packages out.
- Communication is important so if you can't get your mixes out by the mailing deadline (see below), let me or the other members of your swapset know! Don't just disappear cuz that sucks.
- Sign-ups close in ~2 weeks on Saturday, June 16. Swapset assignments will go out shortly thereafter via email.
- The mailing deadline is almost two months away, on Saturday, July 21. However, the sooner you mail out your mixes, the better!
- What should I put on my mix? → Music! Music you love! Music you think people should hear. Music that sounds good!
- Is there a theme? → Yes! It's music! I mean, no! There's no theme except the one you choose. Even though swapset names might have a theme, that shouldn't necessarily dictate the theme of your mix.
- How do I package and mail these mixes? → Padded mailers work best (and recycled ones even better!) but, as long as you can rest assured that your delicate CD-Rs will arrive at their destination in playable condition, pretty much anything goes.
- Do I need to include liner notes? → You don't need to do anything other than mail 5 mixes to your swapmates, but putting some effort into making it look nice is certainly not discouraged. ;)
- Can I be in more than one swapset? → Sure! Just mention it in your sign-up email and I'll put you in two swapsets. You'll need to mail out a total of 10 copies of your mix though, so be prepared for that.
- Didn't you just copy and paste all this from the previous sign-up thread? → Mostly, yeah. Hopefully I changed all the dates right.
If you have any other specific requests or restraints, please include them in your sign-up email. I will honor them the best I can, but no promises. I'll be around here to answer any other questions or concerns.
1. YOUR MEFI USERNAME
2. YOUR POSTAL MAILING ADDRESS at:
tediseasy [at] gmail [doot] com
(PLEASE NO MEMAIL!!
Write your mailing address like it should look on the envelope. If your mailing address doesn't include a Real Name, your swapmates will likely use your MeFi username.
Alright, whew! Happy Swapping!