Let's swap mixes. Sign up for the 2013-1 MeFiSwap inside!
80 minutes - 700MB - 5 discs - 6 swappers
The constraints of MeFiSwap are perhaps old-fashioned. Trading music. Physical media. (Remember tapes? We're not that
old-fashioned.) The post, ha! But the thrill of 5 mixes from 5 fellow MeFites is still just as good. It's in the appreciation of careful track order, the wonder at a beautiful package, and the thrill of envelopes addressed to you (or just your username ;) showing up in your mailbox. This is why we swap.
Ahem, so anyway, here's what's going on:
1. Sign up to swap! (see below)
2. Make a mix of music you'd like to share and burn 5 copies of it to CD-R
3. Go to the post office and mail those mixes to your swapset.
4. Collect awesome mixes from your mailbox, and listen to them!
Guidelines (pretty important)
- You must be a MetaFilter member to participate.
- If you sign up to participate in this swap (see below) you agree to participate in good faith and mail out 5 mix CDs to your swapmates by the mailing deadline.
- If you have signed up to participate in a previous swap and then neglected to participate aside from collecting mixes from your swapmates, then you are not invited to participate again and go into the 'Damned Mooch' column of my list. Yes, I keep a list. And I check it all the damn time*.
- Swapsets consist of 6 people (you + the five recipients of your mix).
- We swap audio CD-Rs. As I've hinted, this is old-fashioned. The modern Internets have made sharing music with the people in your social circles very easy. Doing it with the post and physical media is not as easy. But this is how we do.
- The swap is international. You will likely have to mail at least one of your mixes overseas. This comes with a financial burden, so please take that into consideration before you sign up (see below).
- I'm closing sign-ups in about 2 weeks, on Sunday, January 27th
. Please sign up by then (see below). Swapset assignments will go out shortly thereafter.
- The mailing deadline is the end of February, 2013. That's Thursday the 28th.
- I am very happy with how much smaller this block of text is. I should rewrite more often. For lots of frequently asked questions and their oft-given answers, please see previous sign-up threads
So, you'd still like to sign up? OK! It's easy! See below:
1. Send me an email
at my email address
, please. Put 'MeFiSwap' or 'Swap Me Maybe' somewhere in the subject line.
My email is in my profile, visible to members only. DO NOT MEMAIL, I will just write back saying that I asked nice the first time, in so many words.
2. Include in your email two pieces of information: One, your MetaFilter username. Two, your postal mailing address.
3. Start making your mix!
When you've signed-up properly (see above) you will receive an email in reply that says as much.
* If you participated in good faith in a previous swap and did not receive a mix from one of your swapmates, please email me at my email address and we can talk about it. The last swap had some bumps along the way, but I do believe that the participation rate was very good. If you and I and maybe the other person involved can talk about it, usually something good comes of it.**
** If you are the mooch who didn't mail out, please also email me. I can probably send you again the old swapset assignment email I sent during that swap, and you can get in touch with your neglected swapmates (to see if mailing addresses are still valid) and get mixes out to them. Late, sure, but the circle is complete. Once that happens, you are welcome to participate again.