Do you miss using your optical drive? Have you wondered lately how you're ever going to get rid of that three quarters-full spindle of blank CD-Rs? Maybe lately you've been feeling nostalgic for mix-tapes but are unwilling to revisit the Eighties in all their retro glory? Perhaps you're wondering what music gets other MeFites' tables turning? Well have I got just the thing for you!
You may be familiar with MeFiSwap, but sign ups work differently this year, so don't just fire off that email like you're used to doing!
You may ask, What's a MeFiSwap?
MeFiSwap 2014-1 is a mix-CD swap for users of MetaFilter.
(You need to be a member of this site to participate. Best 5 bucks you've ever spent.)
The way it works is after the sign-up period closes [SEE BELOW]
participants, or swappers as we like to call 'em, are (mostly) randomly divided into groups of six, called swapsets. Each swapper makes a super awesome mix of music, like you'd give to your crush, and burns copies of it to five blank audio CD-Rs. There's maybe some liner notes or album art that you make copies of too, and the mixes and the liners go into envelopes and get mailed to your swap-mates. Who are, of course, doing the same for you. For each copy of your mix sent out, you get a unique mix made by a MeFite.
It's pretty cool. If you've got a minute I can tell you a little more about it, hopefully answer a bunch of common questions, and then show you how to sign up. So, look:
- By signing up to participate for this swap, you agree to participate in good faith and mail out 5 mix CDs to your swap-mates by the mailing deadline. [SEE BELOW]
If you sign up and do not abide by this agreement you will not be allowed to swap again.
- Like I said, we swap audio CD-Rs. Your swap-mates should be able to put the disc you send them into just about any CD player and have it work. Please do not send any media other than a music CD-R without running it by your swapset first. I guess we're sort of old-school in this regard, it is known and noted that in our modern age there are more convenient ways to swap music. For the purposes of this swap, however, CD-Rs and snail mail are the rule.
- If you signed up to participate last time (or a time before) but didn't mail out your mix, you are not invited to swap again you damned mooch! However, if you'd like to attempt to get a swap out to your old swapset and regain eligibility for future swaps please email me and we can talk.
- On the flip side, if you participated in the last swap and didn't get all 5 mixes from your swap-mates, please let me know (via email) and I will try to figure out what happened and do my best to make things right. FWIW & TTBOMK stinkin' moochers seem to be on the downswing, and participation is very near 100%.
- Listen, you will probably have to send at least one piece of mail overseas, and if you live outside the USA, you will most definitely be asked to mail most of your packages to foreign countries. Doing so costs more money, of course. Requests for regional swapsets will be heard and honored to the extent possible, please use the appropriate check boxes on the sign up form. Please do not sign up to participate if you are not prepared to mail 5 packages out.
- After swapset assignments go out [SEE BELOW]
you'll be able to email your swapset with notes like "RAD MIX, YO," "Oops, I missed the deadline but I'll mail them today, promise!" and "My mixes are in the mail, keep an eye out!"
- Sign-ups close in ~2 weeks on Saturday, April 12th
. Swapset assignments will go out shortly thereafter via email.
- The mailing deadline gives you plenty of time: Saturday, May 31st
. However, the sooner you mail out your mixes, the better!
- What should I put on my mix? → Music! Music you love! Music you think people should hear. Music that sounds good!
- Is there a theme? → Yes! It's music! I mean, no! There's no theme except the one you choose. Even though swapset names might have a theme, that shouldn't necessarily dictate the theme of your mix.
- How do I package and mail these mixes? → Padded mailers work best (and recycled ones even better!) but, as long as you can rest assured that your delicate CD-Rs will arrive at their destination in playable condition, pretty much anything goes.
- Do I need to include liner notes? → You don't need to do anything other than mail 5 mixes to your swap-mates, but putting some effort into making it look nice is certainly not discouraged. ;)
- Can I be in more than one swapset? → Sure! There's a check box for that on the sign-up form. You'll need to mail out a total of 10 copies of your mix though, so be prepared for that.
- Didn't you just copy and paste all this from the previous sign-up thread? → Mostly, yeah. Hopefully I changed all the dates right.
If you have any other specific requests or restraints, please make sure to use the 'other' check box on the sign-up form. I will honor them the best I can, but no promises. I'll be around here to answer any other questions or concerns, or feel free to contact me via email (in profile).
So, uh, this part is new and making me nervous: To sign up for this swap, follow this link
and fill out the form.
OK! Happy swapping! Defy those genres!