NYC Meetup July 7, 2006 7:41 AM   Subscribe

Anyone interested in another NYC meetup soon? Like, in the next week or so? [mi]
posted by piratebowling to MetaFilter Gatherings at 7:41 AM (53 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Reasons I'm begging for a meetup:

a) I will be both boyfriendless and laptopless for three weeks. My evenings are therefore especially lonesome.
b) I ran into Afroblanco at a coffee shop we both frequent, and I felt a bit ashamed tat I've seen enough meetup pictures to recognize a mefite by site, without having ever actually been to a meet up myself.
c) It's been almost a month since the last NYC meetup. We're due, right?
posted by piratebowling at 7:41 AM on July 7, 2006

Heck, I'd meet tonight if anyone was interested. I'm all dressed up with no place to go.
posted by Evangeline at 10:20 AM on July 7, 2006

Can we do it in Bushwick? That way only the tough people will come!

Okay, I'd like to. What about something that starts a little earlier, next Saturday? Any good summer drinks places for afternoon drinkin'?
posted by dame at 11:19 AM on July 7, 2006

If we want to do Brooklyn (which I'm down with) I like Daddy's (off the Graham ave. stop on the L) and the Turkey's Nest (near the Bedford stop). Yah, I knw, both of those places are more Williamsburg than Bushwick, but what are you gonna do, right?
posted by piratebowling at 11:39 AM on July 7, 2006

the bushwick country club is perhaps also not really in bushwick (off the lorimer or graham stop on the L), but it might provide that bushwick je ne sais quoi.
posted by mdn at 11:54 AM on July 7, 2006

Oh man, Bushwick Country Club sounds awesome. My vote goes to that!
posted by piratebowling at 12:01 PM on July 7, 2006

I refuse. Merely on the grounds the it is not in Bushwick and is trying to steal the awesome.
posted by dame at 12:35 PM on July 7, 2006

Actually, any place but the Turkey's Nest is fine.
posted by dame at 12:35 PM on July 7, 2006

I'm up for it.
posted by idest at 1:27 PM on July 7, 2006

I'm down (as in, up- up for it).
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 1:50 PM on July 7, 2006 [1 favorite]

And down for Brooklyn, as long as the L train is working.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 1:52 PM on July 7, 2006 [1 favorite]

It's looking like a girls-afternoon/night-out so far. Which is fine.

and TPS, the L should be fine, it will just be running in sections further out in Brooklyn.
posted by piratebowling at 1:58 PM on July 7, 2006

I won't be breaking the gender uniformity: I'll be out of town.
posted by CRM114 at 2:10 PM on July 7, 2006

So let's say the country club, next saturday, 4ish?
posted by dame at 2:30 PM on July 7, 2006

Wow. It's a GIRL THING ! ! ! !

I'm up AND down for that.
posted by idest at 2:45 PM on July 7, 2006

Word. 4 it is.

(ps, if boys get over their fear of cooties, they are welcome too)
posted by piratebowling at 2:47 PM on July 7, 2006

It was a girl thing. Now it isn't. I'll make sure I arrive in touch with my feminine side(kick). I see she's already said she's going so that should be easy.
posted by Decani at 2:58 PM on July 7, 2006

I have a few questions:

1) Does "next Saturday" mean July 8th, like tomorrow?
2) Will there be cocktail weenies?
3) If I'm the only guy who comes, will you chicks talk to me or shun and mock me and laugh behind my back when I go out for a cigarrette?
4) Will there be cocktail weenies?
5) Will I find twue wove?
6) How many free beers will I get?

I think that's all for now.
posted by Meatbomb at 3:06 PM on July 7, 2006

1) I assumed that next Saturday means the next one after tomorrow. But now that you ask...
2) I'm sure there will be weenies of some sort
3) We'll talk to you. I might make fun of you when you go out for a ciggie, but only because I'll be jealous
4) See #2
5) Possibly
6) Depends on services rendered, I should think
posted by idest at 3:21 PM on July 7, 2006

Oooh this sounds good. Will have to confirm later in the week, but add me to the female-heavy roll call.
posted by gaspode at 4:04 PM on July 7, 2006

If it's the 15th, I'm considering going too. Unless you have to be a member for a certain period of time or something else I'm unaware of.
posted by Brainy at 4:15 PM on July 7, 2006

and guys are allowed
posted by Brainy at 4:16 PM on July 7, 2006

I'm going to be in Brooklyn earlier in the day, but wasn't planning on staying long. I'd give it a 15% chance that I end up studying in a coffee shop for eight hours and then making it, and an 85% chance that I end up back in Yonkers by 4pm and won't want to go all the way back out there...
posted by bingo at 4:17 PM on July 7, 2006

Will this outlast the Sirens?
posted by liam at 5:31 PM on July 7, 2006

Or alternatively will it be early enough for a stopover en route to the latter stages of the Siren Fest?
posted by liam at 5:40 PM on July 7, 2006

You know, in 'Mean Streets' they went to Brooklyn and died.
posted by The Jesse Helms at 7:33 PM on July 7, 2006

Yes, but I still need to know... are we talking the 8th or the 15th? I'm assuming the 15th unless I hear otherwise before... ummm.... soon.
posted by Decani at 8:54 PM on July 7, 2006

how about meetup then Scissor Sisters and/or Stars?
posted by amberglow at 11:06 PM on July 7, 2006

It's about time the UK sausagefests/meetups were counteracted by a NY tacofiesta. Sistas doing it for themselves.
posted by Devils Slide at 12:14 AM on July 8, 2006

amberglow, I would be totally down with going to see Scissor Sisters after the meetup, but be warned, getting to Coney Island from the L line is a bit of a challenge. The options would be taking the L to the G to the F to Coney or the L to Manhattan then another train back into Brooklyn.
posted by piratebowling at 7:40 AM on July 8, 2006

Unless the meet-up location is near to the Lorimer-Metropolitan stop where you can get straight on the G. Like Bushwick CC or Union Pool.
posted by liam at 8:05 AM on July 8, 2006

Count me in as someone who is not afraid of cooties!
posted by jason's_planet at 9:04 AM on July 8, 2006

well, that sucks. Fix your trains, Brooklyn people, kay?
posted by amberglow at 11:07 AM on July 8, 2006

Fix the trains? We like it sucky.
posted by idest at 11:22 AM on July 8, 2006

i digg it
posted by Stynxno at 11:34 AM on July 8, 2006

crap. crap. crap. I'm busy next Saturday. This would have been so neat!

If you guys (gals, I guess) re-sched, count me in.
posted by ®@ at 7:01 PM on July 9, 2006

I'm totally in, and would love to meet in brooklyn.
posted by hermitosis at 8:09 PM on July 9, 2006

Alright, one of you Brooklyn people set a place and time ::looks pointedly at dame::
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 8:32 PM on July 9, 2006 [1 favorite]

I second Pink - give me a date/time and (pending a quick calendar check) I'm in.
posted by brianvan at 10:13 PM on July 9, 2006

Place and time already proposed. Date is Saturday the 15th.
posted by idest at 3:22 AM on July 10, 2006


I'll re-post to MeTa on Thursday or Friday.
posted by dame at 6:46 AM on July 10, 2006

I will be there and be square.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 7:58 AM on July 10, 2006 [1 favorite]

Argh, I'll be in the process of packing/moving from Brooklyn to West Harlem that weekend.
posted by blueneurosis at 9:28 AM on July 10, 2006

put it on the social calendar...
posted by brianvan at 10:11 AM on July 10, 2006

There's a good chance that I will be there. If not, take alot of photo booth pics!
posted by nomad at 3:02 PM on July 10, 2006

I might come. Boo yaa.
posted by jeffxl at 7:50 AM on July 11, 2006

Oh cool, I've been wanting to check this place out anyway. Bushwick reprezent! Where's Dorian? Mo Nickels? The Morgan stop folks? It's so close - stop by.
posted by hellbient at 9:32 AM on July 11, 2006

I'm already booked up for Coney Island that day and a birthday party that night. :( Sorry guys!
posted by ®@ at 5:00 AM on July 13, 2006

Are you a clown, ®@?

Tehehehe. We'll miss you either way. Just a little bit more, though, if you could have provided balloon animals.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 8:55 AM on July 13, 2006 [1 favorite]

So we're still doing this, right?
posted by idest at 4:46 AM on July 14, 2006

Well, I am.
posted by Decani at 6:42 AM on July 14, 2006

It's on!
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 1:20 PM on July 14, 2006 [1 favorite]

Uh. I'm not a savvy user of this site or of, but I'm plopping a link here to some pics from yesterday. Hope to have a youtube of the photo booth incident soon... must get new cam batteries.
posted by smartypanties at 1:55 PM on July 16, 2006

« Older Columbine Callout   |   Twin Cities Meetup Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments