Calling out the crumudgeons September 1, 2001 11:30 AM   Subscribe

We need less "geez, lighten up" and more "ok, sorry, i didn't mean to offend anyone."
posted by o2b to Etiquette/Policy at 11:30 AM (6 comments total)

Yes, some people need to lighten up, but that's no reason to snark off at them. No response to a post is illegitimate if it is truthful. If you tick someone off, do what you would do in real life -- explain your view again without demeaning them.
posted by o2b at 11:32 AM on September 1, 2001

I tried to do exactly that.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone, but that thread reads like a funeral.
posted by Steven Den Beste at 11:51 AM on September 1, 2001

Do you go to funerals and say, "Lighten up! In ten years you'll hardly remember him"?
posted by MegoSteve at 1:08 PM on September 1, 2001

I do, in fact.
Goes real well with the clown nose and "how's your pork?" lapel pin.
posted by dong_resin at 4:07 PM on September 1, 2001

I tried to do exactly that.

Steven you crazy. You walked in that thread and told them it isn't important. Granted, its not like Dillinger just got shot but relevance is relative and I'm more for degrees of importance instead of your hard and fast rule. An occasional Beastie Boys fan crying in his soup is good for variety. 5 posts in a row about them is bad.

Secondly, I think more than half of that post should be in metatalk and not in the thread.
posted by skallas at 6:47 PM on September 1, 2001

I wasn't trying to offend anyone, but that thread reads like a funeral.

Which makes it an odd choice for you to show up and say, "Hey, I haven't even heard of that guy. No one will miss him!"
posted by rcade at 5:22 AM on September 2, 2001

« Older why conservatives tend to have a negative view of...   |   Is this post really relevant or appropriate for... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments