I've been noticing basically the same question posted repeatedly on AskMe, "Please recommend some comfy walking shoes for me."
posted by misha to MetaFilter-Related at 5:09 PM (269 comments total)
12 users marked this as a favorite
It's come up so often, I figured either the search functions just weren't working as they should or (more likely, because pb is always on top of things) my memory was playing tricks on me.
So I did a search myself. Just typing in "shoe", I easily found 7 posts from people looking for comfy walking shoes in the last month alone. (I'm not talking about just shoe posts in general. There have been, incredibly, 21 total shoe posts this month.)
I can't remember ever seeing a flood of questions on the same exact topic without a precipitating event. For example, I expect to see lots of "What do I get this person?" around Christmas, or "What costume do I wear?" for Halloween.
But why are so many "comfy walking shoes" questions popping up this month? Naturally, my first thought was that the Cabal has a foot fetish, but we all know I'll never penetrate their security, so can anyone else shed light on why else
this might be happening? Is it just because Doc Martens doesn't sell shoes any more that everyone is panicking?
If you are interested, and because I have way too much time on my hands, here's a summary of shoe posts in the last 30 days, organized by request type:
Comfy Walking Shoes?
My shoes are broken!
- Comfy walking shoes as durable as Doc Martens? today
- Shoes to replace Danskos September 9
- Comfortable slip-on walking shoes September 5th
- Comfy walking sandals now that Doc Martens no longer makes shoes Aug 28
- Women's comfy slip-on walking shoe August 24th
- Comfortable women's shoes for urban walking August 19
- Comfy shoes for women (athletic or casual) August 19
- Can I resole these shoes? September 18
- Shoe repair in Dallas September 15
- Boots like Frye but high-arched September 19
- Brown wide-calf boots September 14
- DIY boots September 6
- Head-turning fall shoes or boots August 18
- Rain boots August 19
Must. Have. THESE. Shoes.
- Should I exercise with tendonitis, ankle boot, etc? September 19
- Exercise while wearing ankle boot for injury Sept 6
Miscellaneous Snowflake Shoe Needs
- Boots from the Sartorialist September 17
- Men's Nucky Tompson Wingtip shoes August 8
- Flat shoes for gothic wear September 8
- How to walk quietly in kitten heels September 6
- How to polish orange Doc Martens? September 3