You may already have won! Click on through to meet the winsome winners of the fourth, last, final and concluding week of the Mefites' Choice Awards
posted by goodnewsfortheinsane to MetaFilter-Related at 2:32 PM (45 comments total)
7 users marked this as a favorite
And what a week it's been. I'm not one to bandy about hyperbole, but dare I say it, it was the ultimate
week of the year. Bit of a longish one too, wasn't it? So put on your red carpet bestest before applauding your host with a sense of polite obligation, because here are our winners:
- In Best Cats, it's The Whelk for "PUPPIES GETTING GIFTS". To quote from the judges' report:
The Whelk has managed to subvert the well-trodden genre of the cat post by making one that is mostly about dogs. Also cats.
The Whelk wins the book "Crafting with Cat Hair: Cute Handicrafts to Make with Your Cat" provided by Wordshore, and may I suggest an apéritif of Żubrówka bison grass vodka with apple juice to accompany the reading? The grass is against furballs, and the apple juice is to annoy cats, who cannot taste sweetness. Their loss.
- For Best Asian Food, Jode takes the prize on the strength of what is only their second front page effort, "Finest Food TV Ever". In the judges' words,
Hairy tofu is an obvious metaphor for Metafilter at large: it takes a while to truly appreciate, but once you've learned the correct seasonings it is delectable indeed.
Jode, please collect your Malaysian/Singaporean/Indonesian spice mixes from infini. Wait, all those countries but no Laos? Oh, I see. Enjoy the laos! [Disclaimer: host makes no claim as to the spice mixes containing laos or not.]
- For Best Retro Gaming we have JHarris for "All hands, prepare for MULTIBALL.".
JHarris, step right up and receive your $10 game from Steam, GOG.com or the digital distributor of your choice from griphus.
- In Best Awesome Women Doing Awesome Things, it's "The Natives are restless. Wondering why?" by jokeefe.
jokeefe wins a copy of "Don't Bet on the Prince: Contemporary Feminist Fairy Tales in North America and England" provided by ocherdraco.
- Best Music goes to flapjax at midnite for "Beatles harmony tutorial videos".
flapjax at midnite wins a brand new Corsair 115GB 2.5" SATA SSD provided by Davey Darling. Defragment early, defragment often! Actually... actually my producer's saying now that one needn't defrag an SSD. Well you learn something every day! Fragments of knowledge indeed.
- The winner of Best Single Link Post is Daily Alice for "Finding the "just right" book".
Daily Alice, please collect your frosted glass MeFi stein that reads "FLAG IT AND MOVE ON" from Greg Nog. If you are so inclined, feel free to pose with it for a mug shot! Ha, I'll be here all week. Speaking of books:
- Best Books goes to Rhaomi for "Cities and the Soul".
You are about to begin reading the judges' report on Rhaomi's new post, Cities and the Soul. Relax. Concentrate. Dispel every other thought. Let the world around you fade. Best to close the door; the TV is always on in the next room. Tell the others right away, "No, I don't want to watch TV!" Raise your voice--they won't hear you otherwise--"I'm reading! I don't want to be disturbed!" Maybe they haven't heard you, with all that racket; speak louder, yell: "I'm beginning to read the judges' report on Rhaomi's new post!" Or if you prefer, don't say anything; just hope they'll leave you alone.
Rhaomi, please MeMail your humble host with the one-word topic of your sonnet, and it will be composed as soon as I've sourced a suitable ribbon for my typewriter, and a suitable banana for my monkey typist.
- The penultimate winner is one in two categories, Best Pleats and Best Winning Runner-Up. The post with the second-most fantastic flags for the final week of 2012 was "Pleats and thank you" by Lexica. Thus spake the judges:
Some contestants pleated with us to change our minds, but even when pressed we would not fold. The whole thing had us in stitches!
Lexica, please be so kind as to collect your Valve entertainment product from adrianhon.
- And lastly but certainly not leastly, winning two prizes for just one post, it's the moment you've all been scrolling for:
*drum roll*, sound of stray monocles dropping into champagne
For Most Fantasticked Post, it's...
"Japan" by kliuless!
Apart from temporary everlasting fame, kliuless wins a Starbucks Pike Place Market mug and a $10 gift card from the same store (or if the winner is from a place with easy access to the Market, the same from Fort Worth) provided by fireoyster; and from k8lin, a batch of delicious home-made cookies or candy. kliuless, please let k8lin know if you have any allergies, dietary restrictions, or special requests.
Thanks to all prize-givers, voters and participants, and to all of you, have a wonderful year!