Remember physical media? Remember how you can put music on it? Remember snail mail? Remember how you can sent physical media via snail mail?
Well, let me remind you how it's done with the second round of the bi-annual MeFiSwap!
80 minutes - 700MB - 5 discs - 6 swappers
The constraints of MeFiSwap are perhaps old-fashioned. Trading music. Physical media. (Remember tapes? We're not that old-fashioned.) The post, ha! But the thrill of 5 mixes from 5 fellow MeFites is still just as good. It's in the appreciation of careful track order, the wonder at a beautiful package, and the thrill of envelopes addressed to you (or just your username ;) showing up in your mailbox. This is why we swap.
Ahem, so anyway, here's what's going on:
1. Sign up to swap! (see below)
2. Make a mix of music you'd like to share and burn 5 copies of it to CD-R.
3. Go to the post office and mail those mixes to your swapset.
4. Collect awesome mixes from your mailbox, and listen to them!
- You must be a MetaFilter member to participate.
- If you sign up to participate in this swap (see below) you agree to participate in good faith and mail out 5 mix CDs to your swapmates by the mailing deadline.
- If you have signed up to participate in a previous swap and then neglected to participate aside from collecting mixes from your swapmates, then you are not invited to participate again and go into the 'Damned Mooch' column of my list. Yes, I keep a list. And I check it all the damn time*.
- Swapsets consist of 6 people (you + the five recipients of your mix).
- We swap audio CD-Rs. As I've hinted, this is old-fashioned. The modern Internets have made sharing music with the people in your social circles very easy. Doing it with the post and physical media is not as easy. It costs a little bit of money. It takes some of your time. But this is how we do.
- The swap is international. You will likely have to mail at least one of your mixes overseas. This comes with a financial burden, so please take that into consideration before you sign up (see below).
- Sign-ups close hard and fast in about 2 weeks, on Sunday, August 18th. Please sign up by then (see below). Swapset assignments will go out shortly thereafter.
- The mailing deadline is about 3 weeks after that, let's say Monday, September 9th.
I am very happy with how much smaller this block of text is. I should rewrite more often. (Not taking my own advice this time, a huge percentage of what we're seeing today is cut'n'paste. I'm a slacker.) For lots of frequently asked questions and their oft-given answers, please see previous sign-up threads. You can get to them through my profile page.
So, you'd still like to sign up? OK! It's easy! See below:
1. Send me an email at my email address, please. Put 'MeFiSwap 2013-2' or 'Swap Battle 2013-2' somewhere in the subject line so I don't just spam-folder you like 99% of the rest of the email I get.
My email is in my profile, visible to members only. DO NOT MEMAIL, I will just write back saying that I asked nice the first time, in so many words.
2. Include in your email two pieces of information: One, your MetaFilter username. Two, your postal mailing address.
3. Start making your mix!
When you've signed-up properly (see above)
you will receive an email in reply that says as much.
* If you participated in good faith in a previous swap and did not receive a mix from one of your swapmates, please email me at my email address and we can talk about it. The last swap had an incredible participation rate, to my knowledge. If you and I and maybe the other person involved can talk about it, suss things out, usually something good comes of it.**
** If you are the mooch who didn't mail out, please also email me. I can probably send you again the old swapset assignment email I sent during that swap, and you can get in touch with your neglected swapmates (to see if mailing addresses are still valid) and get mixes out to them. Late, sure, but the circle is complete. Once that happens, you are welcome to participate again.