Thread Numbers in Podcast Discussion October 5, 2007 2:22 PM   Subscribe

Podcast request: Would it be possible to mention the thread numbers of the threads being discussed in the podcasts?

Matt, Jess:

When you're talking about a thread in a podcast, you generally just throw out some keywords, and I end up googling for them to find out the thread you're discussing. That's not hard, by any means, but since y'all apparently are looking at the threads as you discuss them, would it be possible to mention the thread number? "Did you see that awesome thread, 79265, about the blind dog?" Then instead of googling and searching around, I could just type it in and BLAH!

And some questions for MeFites out there:

Would this be useful to anyone besides me? Would this create confusion ("What are the secret numbers?"), or would that not be an issue because you probably know quite a bit about MeFi by the time you're listening to MeFi podcasts?
posted by Bugbread to Feature Requests at 2:22 PM (14 comments total)

Matt's been listing links to mentioned threads/comments/etc in the first comment (and, since its inception, the More Inside) of the podcast threads for a while now; I've found that the easiest way to keep up when listening. Is there and aspect of this that that doesn't really handle?
posted by cortex (staff) at 2:26 PM on October 5, 2007

We try to link every thread we mention even tangentially in the accompanying MeTa thread and they're even in order. I think this is a different way to solve the same problem. Is there some reason this doesn't work for you?
posted by jessamyn (staff) at 2:27 PM on October 5, 2007

They usually link to all the threads they discuss when they post the podcast, which should ave you googling. For example.

On preview, what them fast typin' mods said. But mine came with link.
posted by jewishbuddha at 2:28 PM on October 5, 2007

cortex writes "Matt's been listing links to mentioned threads/comments/etc in the first comment (and, since its inception, the More Inside) of the podcast threads for a while now; I've found that the easiest way to keep up when listening. Is there and aspect of this that that doesn't really handle?"

Ah, no, I didn't realize that (I don't think I've read any of the accompanying threads, I just assumed they were announcement threads, didn't realize they had extra meat to them). Never mind. Sorry!
posted by Bugbread at 2:30 PM on October 5, 2007

*gives bugbread a coupon*
posted by cortex (staff) at 2:30 PM on October 5, 2007

Fastest pony request to completion ever.
posted by DMan at 3:29 PM on October 5, 2007

*gives bugbread a hug*

What? He looked like he needed one.

*steals bugbread's coupon*

Wait, what's this good for anyway?
posted by quin at 3:29 PM on October 5, 2007

Minute Maid orange juice at Target (lol).
posted by iconomy at 3:33 PM on October 5, 2007 [1 favorite]

So no soul farting?

*sigh*
posted by terrapin at 3:40 PM on October 5, 2007

Matt and Jess should refer to threads only by their number. That'd be cool sounding.

79265 was on one my favorites. It was something similar to what user 4547 posted in 51245.
posted by ALongDecember at 7:47 PM on October 5, 2007

79265 has nothing on 46229- now there was a true classic.
posted by pjern at 8:41 PM on October 5, 2007

I actually do this internally with a lot of userids now. Why does everything revolve around 17809? Paging 58 to the Cheap Trick thread. Etc.
posted by cortex (staff) at 9:37 PM on October 5, 2007

-I actually do this internally with a lot of userids now-
I believe you, you twisted jesus rainmaniac. How many digits of pi do you know off by heart?
posted by peacay at 2:05 AM on October 7, 2007

Nine, apparently.Which is more than enough for practical engineering, so, hey.
posted by cortex (staff) at 8:57 AM on October 7, 2007

« Older Welcome. How'd you find us?   |   Mathowie Meetup Pics. Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments