Caddyshack is not in the top 25. March 14, 2011 4:36 AM   Subscribe

My FPP this morning supported legitimate outrage against a clearly terrible list of movies. This deletion is totally unwarranted and should be reversed.
posted by parmanparman to MetaFilter-Related at 4:36 AM (199 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

what
posted by atrazine at 4:44 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


Pretty sure that the front page is for the 'best of the web.' This wasn't it.
posted by kaibutsu at 4:51 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


You're totally repressing his right to link to a lame humor site's lazy top-100 list of frat-boy approved gross-out comedies.
posted by octothorpe at 4:54 AM on March 14, 2011


vacapinta and pb are on a tear!
posted by gman at 4:54 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


Allow me to take this opportunity to express legitimate outrage at both of your clearly terrible posts.
posted by Optamystic at 4:55 AM on March 14, 2011 [4 favorites]


Yay!
posted by nevercalm at 5:03 AM on March 14, 2011


Everyone has an illegitimate outrage somewhere in their family, but no one wants to metatalk about it.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 5:04 AM on March 14, 2011 [8 favorites]


parmanparman, I support your legitimate outrage against those against outrage legitimate your support I, parmanparman.

This is a TRAVESTY, and anyone involved in the commission of this offence against humanity should be peeled, boiled, drained, salted and then left to rest for five minutes, and then diced, stewed, simmered, frozen and used as and when required. God, I am hungry.

Anyway, those who run this site have for far too long been running this site. I for one suggest we all gather in this very thread, and continue our protest until they are FORCED to step down and a new, democratic republic of MetaFilter is formed and then WE THE PEOPLE can add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with some parsley.
posted by the quidnunc kid at 5:04 AM on March 14, 2011 [39 favorites]


Hard to imagine you've been around this long and clearly still don't get what goes on here, but I guess stranger things have happened. It's hard to tell just how much our post sucked, because you didn't link to it, though.
posted by dg at 5:04 AM on March 14, 2011


So, lemme see if I got this right...you're saying that your post sucks, but the outrage against it was so fantastic – so f'n poignant – that it should stay, so that we might continue to rally 'n rant around it, the clever beings that we are who've run out of Internet against which to rail?
posted by iamkimiam at 5:08 AM on March 14, 2011


I didn't see any outrage in your descriptive link, one sentence quote from the link, and descriptive title.
posted by Plutor at 5:12 AM on March 14, 2011


Hoooooooly crap.
posted by rollbiz at 5:16 AM on March 14, 2011


brahahahahahahahahahaha... heh
posted by tomswift at 5:18 AM on March 14, 2011


Sometimes the best of the web is not suitable for metafilter.
posted by klue at 5:21 AM on March 14, 2011 [3 favorites]


The outrage is waaay too dry, inasmuch as it's undetectable. You should have fleshed it out, it might have been interesting. As presented, it's just a list of what some kids think are great comedies. Of course the list is packed with shit. Kids are stupid-- my tastes were much less refined when I was a college freshman. Even though I'm probably less dumb than the average person, had I compiled that list at 19 there would be some real wince-inducing choices in it.
posted by Mayor Curley at 5:26 AM on March 14, 2011


Legitimate outrage is boring. Outrage should be wild, crazy, scary, funny and ideally result in emotional breakdown, tears and self-harm. I'm afraid your outrage simply did not cut the mustard.
posted by Decani at 5:43 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


Strangely, this callout still has more laughs than many movies on that list.
posted by mkultra at 5:44 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


For the record, the post in question is this one. And yeah, it's not a particularly strong post, although I've seen weaker ones survive - I'd assume this one just picked up a bunch of flags and therefore got baleeted.

(Word to the wise - this kind of MeTa never, ever goes well. A visit to the contact form in the bottom right of the page would have been a much wiser option.)
posted by ZsigE at 5:50 AM on March 14, 2011


Please, won't you help parmanparman by supporting legitimate outrage? For only pennies a day, you can help him in the very important fight against lists of terrible movies, or in his support for lists of terrible movies, or whatever it is that he's trying to do. Without your help, his legitimate outrage may never be expressed, and that would be, as I'm sure you'll all agree, a terrible, terrible thing.
posted by flapjax at midnite at 5:52 AM on March 14, 2011 [12 favorites]


Meh.
posted by fixedgear at 5:53 AM on March 14, 2011


Flagged for having Adam Sandler above the fold.

No good will come of that.
posted by MuffinMan at 5:53 AM on March 14, 2011


I am outraged that you couldn't even bother to link to the deleted fpp. Outraged, I tell you.
posted by rtha at 6:07 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


What does this have to do with the ending of Battlestar Galatica?!
posted by Brandon Blatcher at 6:08 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


I think my irony meter is broken again. You know, at this point, I'm really looking forward to my kids' generation rebelling against the geezer ways of Gen X and being exactingly literal about everything.
posted by Pater Aletheias at 6:11 AM on March 14, 2011 [23 favorites]


Adam Sandler made a lot of bad films, but none of them were as unfunny as Caddyshack.
posted by Combustible Edison Lighthouse at 6:13 AM on March 14, 2011


And why does cortex continue to refuse to release his birth certificate?
posted by electroboy at 6:21 AM on March 14, 2011 [6 favorites]


Adam Sandler made a lot of bad films, but none of them were as unfunny as Caddyshack.

Apparently Going Overboard is pretty bad. Like 1.8 out of 10 on IMDB bad. Turns out you can even get a list of everything Adam Sandler was in, sorted by rating.
posted by FishBike at 6:23 AM on March 14, 2011


And why does cortex continue to refuse to release his birth certificate?

How come cortex and the Obama have never been seen together?!
posted by Brandon Blatcher at 6:25 AM on March 14, 2011


Caddyshack is the best movie about golf ever made. Being able to quote it at length is a requirement for receiving an MBA.

So it's got that going for it.
posted by BitterOldPunk at 6:26 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


SPOILER ALERT: When Obama unwraps that turban at the end of Rahm Emanuel and the Politico's Stone, there's my smiling fact staring out the back of his head.

I'm going to assume for the sake of my sanity that this is intended to be a ha ha jokey fun thread and not something I have to come up with a coherent response to vis-a-vis why the deletion of a meh, zero-stakes thread is anything for a long-time member who knows better to be making Demands about.
posted by cortex (staff) at 6:29 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


Ha-ha vis-a-vis zero-stakes long-time.
posted by boo_radley at 6:33 AM on March 14, 2011 [3 favorites]


AM I TOO EARLY?
posted by THREAD KILLER at 6:34 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


cortex, how is babies made?!
posted by Brandon Blatcher at 6:34 AM on March 14, 2011


There are people who enjoyed Waiting?
posted by shakespeherian at 6:35 AM on March 14, 2011


"SPOILER ALERT: When Obama unwraps that turban at the end of Rahm Emanuel and the Politico's Stone, there's my smiling fact staring out the back of his head."

"fact"...ha!

I bet we get that edit button NOW!
posted by tomswift at 6:37 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


Together, we can win this battle.
posted by Burhanistan at 6:37 AM on March 14, 2011


Dibs on My Smiling Fact as a band name.
posted by flapjax at midnite at 6:38 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


mutter mutter silenced all my life mutter
posted by Skorgu at 6:38 AM on March 14, 2011


hello mutter, hello fodder...
posted by flapjax at midnite at 6:39 AM on March 14, 2011 [4 favorites]


Someone has a case of the Mondays!
posted by octobersurprise at 6:51 AM on March 14, 2011 [5 favorites]


You failed to make vacapinta laugh.
posted by joost de vries at 6:51 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


The lame is strong in this thread. Could some of you people at least be funny ?
posted by y2karl at 6:51 AM on March 14, 2011


I can cite a pedigree going back beyond the Norman Conquest* to prove that my outrage is more legitimate than anyone else's here. If you intend to usurp the Crown of Affront prepare for a bloody and bitter struggle to very end.

* Not mine; we're no-mark peasants from the Fens, but I can cite one.
posted by Abiezer at 6:52 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


Could some of you people at least be funny ?

We were waiting for you, y2karl!
posted by flapjax at midnite at 6:54 AM on March 14, 2011


Excelsior!
posted by Wallace Shawn at 6:54 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


Coming into this thread, I did not expect to finish it feeling hungry.

I AM NOW HUNGRY THROUGH THE POWER OF INTERNET
posted by stavrosthewonderchicken at 6:55 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


Could some of you people at least be funny ?

Can I use the photos from your private website?
posted by Brandon Blatcher at 6:56 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


Gotta say, Abiezer, you've been on the Fens on this issue for too long... take a stand, man!
posted by flapjax at midnite at 6:57 AM on March 14, 2011


Ground's too boggy; you just sink in :(
posted by Abiezer at 6:59 AM on March 14, 2011


On another topic, who here has courage enough to fight me???

QUIDNUNC KID

SKILL   10        STAMINA   14
posted by the quidnunc kid at 7:17 AM on March 14, 2011 [4 favorites]


I roll D20 to attack quidnunc kid with my rapier wit. . .
posted by Think_Long at 7:19 AM on March 14, 2011


You have been cornered by a gelatinous cube (aka metatalk).
posted by UbuRoivas at 7:23 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


> I test my luck, rolling 2d6
> UNLUCKY!
> I take 2 STAMINA points damage from wit attack

QUIDNUNC KID

SKILL   10        STAMINA   12
posted by the quidnunc kid at 7:23 AM on March 14, 2011


Gelatinous Cube: nom nom nom.
posted by UbuRoivas at 7:25 AM on March 14, 2011


Cant you close threads from Austin?
posted by wheelieman at 7:27 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


I lunge with my bon mot finisher!
posted by Think_Long at 7:28 AM on March 14, 2011


THIS WILL NOT STAND!!!!
posted by edgeways at 7:29 AM on March 14, 2011


I am making a curried Caesar salad for a potluck this afternoon. Yeah, it was completely terrible list of films - that was the point. If there were other, terrible top 100 lists I had personally viewed after being woke up by the garbage hauliers, I would have posted them. I thought it clearly provided enough for some shock and awe among commentators.
posted by parmanparman at 7:29 AM on March 14, 2011


I lunge with my bon mot finisher!

>I parry your jibe and attack!

THINK_LONG

SKILL   9        STAMINA   17

Fight me if you dare!
posted by the quidnunc kid at 7:30 AM on March 14, 2011


This is what huffing the internet looks like.
posted by Cat Pie Hurts at 7:31 AM on March 14, 2011 [9 favorites]


Whereas Huw Ffynge the Internet runs a small computer repair business in Porthmadog.

*sneaks a punch at quid from behind*
posted by Abiezer at 7:34 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


STAMINA ... low ... too many ... monsters ...
posted by the quidnunc kid at 7:39 AM on March 14, 2011


What if Rosa Parks had a car?
posted by Burhanistan at 7:46 AM on March 14, 2011 [3 favorites]


parmanparman: after being woke up by the garbage hauliers

I imagine that word being pronounced haul-ee-YAY, like sommelier or hotelier, and that they are very fancy garbagemen, in long white aprons and immaculate moustaches. They look down their noses at your pedestrian choices in trash cans and bin liners, and they take away your leavings with a haughty disdain.
posted by Rock Steady at 8:00 AM on March 14, 2011 [31 favorites]


I love you guys... No, no, really... I MEAN it... I fuckin LOVE you guys.
posted by OneMonkeysUncle at 8:03 AM on March 14, 2011


I thought it clearly provided enough for some shock and awe among commentators.

Methinks you may be a bit too easily shocked, my good sir.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 8:06 AM on March 14, 2011


Yeah, in posh Perry Barr. Look it up, I have no shame living in one of Europe's poorest wards. Garbage men can call themselves whatever they want, no skin off my back. I got no problems saying what I got a problem with.
posted by parmanparman at 8:11 AM on March 14, 2011


WWDMD?
(what would Doc Martin do?)
posted by Stonestock Relentless at 8:13 AM on March 14, 2011


Probably try to be Dr. House*

*never actually watched Doc Martin, but the American trailers for the show are pretty blatantly going for the House vibe.
posted by Think_Long at 8:14 AM on March 14, 2011


Look it up, I have no shame living in one of Europe's poorest wards. Garbage men can call themselves whatever they want, no skin off my back. I got no problems saying what I got a problem with.

Between your weird, sort of brusque tone and the fact that you think Caddyshack is a funny movie, you're coming over as sort of off-centre.
posted by Alvy Ampersand at 8:15 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


> I thought it clearly provided enough for some shock and awe among commentators.

Sorry, are you being sincere? That's a terrible reason to post something to this website.
posted by Burhanistan at 8:15 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


PoutrageFilter?
posted by Alvy Ampersand at 8:20 AM on March 14, 2011 [4 favorites]


I misread that as PorridgeFilter and wondered what you were putting in your porridge.
posted by Burhanistan at 8:21 AM on March 14, 2011


potagefilter
posted by clavdivs at 8:24 AM on March 14, 2011


I am going to have to drop my Facebook account and move back here. My posts have been so weak and boring lately. There's no reason to be positive about bullshit.
posted by parmanparman at 8:30 AM on March 14, 2011


Shake the demons out, man.
posted by Burhanistan at 8:34 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


Is everything okay with you? You're coming across as kind of disconnected and off. Sincere concern.
posted by L'Estrange Fruit at 8:35 AM on March 14, 2011


I wish my list of things to be outraged about right now was short enough to be able in include idiotic movies.
posted by edgeways at 8:42 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


never actually watched Doc Martin

It's good!

parmanparman, I just finally gave in and read the Rebecca Black thread & watched that video a few times, and I'm feeling kind of seasick myself. If that's what happened to you and you need a hug or want to borrow my copy of Music For Airports or something just let me know. The internet is here for you.
posted by mintcake! at 8:44 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


I took my first guilt-free vacation in three years this weekend. Came back too soon, methinks.
posted by parmanparman at 8:44 AM on March 14, 2011


I am outraged at this travesty. OUTRAGED, I tell ya.

This is the perfect time for a coup. Mathowie, Cortex, and Jessamyn are off to SXSW and lone pb is guarding Metafilter Castle. Someone distract him with a whole bunch of bug reports...
posted by special-k at 8:46 AM on March 14, 2011


Sincere concern.

Feigned concern masking a passive-aggressive attack.
posted by shothotbot at 8:47 AM on March 14, 2011


"(Word to the wise - this kind of MeTa never, ever goes well. A visit to the contact form in the bottom right of the page would have been a much wiser option.)"

ZOMG RLLY?
posted by klangklangston at 8:48 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


Also, contra the thread: I watched The Other Guys a couple nights ago, and it's pretty fucking hilarious throughout. I was amazed that the Metacritic/IMDB scores were as low as they are.
posted by klangklangston at 8:49 AM on March 14, 2011


Good thing I have a potluck to go to tonight. Anyway, sorry about this. I'll post something better next time.
posted by parmanparman at 8:55 AM on March 14, 2011 [5 favorites]


Try harder next time.
posted by Burhanistan at 8:57 AM on March 14, 2011


Now it's time for hugs! Or at least for someone to explain Caddyshack to me. Really, it's pretty awful.
posted by Alvy Ampersand at 8:58 AM on March 14, 2011


POT what LUCK!
posted by clavdivs at 8:59 AM on March 14, 2011


Sincere concern.

Feigned concern masking a passive-aggressive attack.


Uh, no. Thought he might be sick or something, I was pretty sick last week and was having similar sort-of-there-but-not-really conversations when my temperature was spiking at 103.
posted by L'Estrange Fruit at 8:59 AM on March 14, 2011


> explain Caddyshack to me

The gopher represents our repressed/submerged sexuality and the golf course is a metaphor for Soviet-era Eastern Europe. You're welcome.
posted by Burhanistan at 9:00 AM on March 14, 2011 [7 favorites]


parmanparman, I like you. I hope you are bringing something delicious to the potluck and that you don't eat to many pigs-in-a-blankets because they seem like a good idea at the time but are not, really, in the long run.
posted by shakespeherian at 9:02 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


"Now it's time for hugs! Or at least for someone to explain Caddyshack to me. Really, it's pretty awful."

Perhaps you keep accidentally watching Caddyshack 2?
posted by klangklangston at 9:03 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


THE JOKE IS THAT THE CANDY BAR LOOKS LIKE POOP
posted by shakespeherian at 9:07 AM on March 14, 2011 [3 favorites]



"What if Rosa Parks had a car?"

Well, for one thing, that old bus wouldn't be sitting at the Ford Museum in Dearborn.
posted by tomswift at 9:09 AM on March 14, 2011


Bill Murray > Dan Ackroyd
Rodney Dangerfield < Jackie Mason
The Guy Who Knocked Up Jackie on Roseanne < Jonathan Silverman
Ted Knight < Robert Stack
No Randy Quaid < Randy Quaid
A Lot of Kenny Loggins < Marginally Less Loggins
Chevy Chase = Chevy Chase

Mathematically, Caddyshack 2 is clearly the superior film.
posted by Alvy Ampersand at 9:15 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


Mathematically, Caddyshack 2 is clearly the superior film.

Divide by zero error. Abort.
posted by It's Raining Florence Henderson at 9:26 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


Chevy Chase = Chevy Chase

This is demonstrably incorrect.
posted by Mister_A at 9:36 AM on March 14, 2011 [6 favorites]


More like: Chase = Δy/Δx. At least since Family Vacation.
posted by Burhanistan at 9:41 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


"Mathematically, Caddyshack 2 is clearly the superior film."

I'm afraid that your math has to be graded as only 43 percent correct, an F. Maybe if you had shown your work, we could help you.
posted by klangklangston at 9:43 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


"...fails to understand...all hear the words of Karras, Karras."
posted by clavdivs at 10:01 AM on March 14, 2011


The SpongeBob SquarePants Gummy Fruit Snacks I am eating are very difficult to identify as actual characters from the show. They all look like vaguely triangular gelatinous blobs, differing only in their color and translucency. Also, every color tastes the same.
posted by killdevil at 10:11 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


Or at least for someone to explain Caddyshack to me.

I say to you, "Gungalagunga. Gagunga."

You now have that going for you, which is nice.
posted by stet at 10:12 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


Ted Knight < Robert Stack

what
posted by dirtdirt at 10:12 AM on March 14, 2011 [4 favorites]


I am about to Blow. Your. Minds.

I am the not-so-proud owner of a golf jacket created especially for the worst movie ever made, bar none, Caddyshack 2.

My husband won it at the premiere of the movie, which we attended because of some radio show call-in deal. They held a trivia contest before the movie started, and he won.

I remember we were excited because, hey, how could it be bad with Dan Ackroyd and Chevy Chase in it? Back then, this was the hallmark of good comedy. Who knew Dan Ackroyd was going to adapt that annoying chipmunk voice? Certainly not us.

Anyway, he won the jacket by correctly answering the name of the local news anchor on the channel co-sponsoring the movie premiere along with the radio show. The guy was an icon and had been around for years, but my spouse jumped up with his hand in the air, and he's really tall so they called on him first and he totally nailed it.

We were SO pysched that he actually won the jacket. Right up until the movie started.

The jacket is a pastel yellow with the movie name and is actually a very nice quality windbreaker stule, though my spouse, who even plays golf nowadays, will never, ever wear it on the golf course.

Because, really, Caddyshack 2? Ugh.
posted by misha at 10:16 AM on March 14, 2011 [14 favorites]


Agreeing with Klang upthread, The Other Guys was surprisingly well made and enjoyable and I didn't want to gouge out Farrel's eyes which is always an accomplishment.

Although there's this thing some movies do where they have the grammar of a joke set up but then completely loose the execution. It's MADDENING. It's like someone reciting a poem wrong or the flimic version of telling a joke badly.

Mystery Men was my go-to example for illustrating this phenonenon until I saw the film version of the musical version of the Producers - which managed to fuck the dismount of every. single. joke.

Same director too. Gah.
posted by The Whelk at 10:16 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


Style. Not stule. He would, of course, wear a windbreaker stule.
posted by misha at 10:17 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


Just before Andrei Tarkovsky died near the end of 1986, he was working on the sequel to Caddyshack. It's a little-known fact that Caddyshack II was actually made with his footage sped up twice as fast, with American voice-actors dubbing their parts in English. To this day, many film departments sometimes exhibit the so-called Lost Film of Andrei Tarkovsky, a recreation that consists of Caddyshack II slowed down to half-speed and dubbed over with an audiobook of the poetry of Boris Pasternak.
posted by koeselitz at 10:29 AM on March 14, 2011 [10 favorites]


(It should go without saying that the "Lost Film" recreation is far superior to the Caddyshack II released in theaters.)
posted by koeselitz at 10:32 AM on March 14, 2011


Mystery Men was my go-to example for illustrating this phenonenon

I humbly submit that if Tom Waits had switched his characters between Mystery Men and Bram Stoker's Dracula, both films would have been brilliant.
posted by shakespeherian at 10:35 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


Caddyshack would have been a much better movie if Brian Doyle Murray hadn't insisted they give a part to his little brother Billy.
posted by rocket88 at 10:46 AM on March 14, 2011


Garbage men can call themselves whatever they want, no skin off my back. I got no problems saying what I got a problem with.

Pro-tip* - they call themselves binmen or dustmen here.


*nb I am not English in a professional capacity
posted by mippy at 10:47 AM on March 14, 2011


I worked at a golf course for two summers in high school, and I've always maintained that whoever wrote Caddyshack worked there at the same time.
posted by ThatCanadianGirl at 10:50 AM on March 14, 2011


rocket88: " Brian Doyle Murray"

Did anyone else ever see Moving Violations staring John Murray, the Zeppo of the Murray clan? With a special cameo appearance by Clara "Where's the Beef" Peller?
posted by octothorpe at 11:03 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


Did anyone else ever see Moving Violations staring John Murray, the Zeppo of the Murray clan?

Yes. It's not that bad.
posted by Alvy Ampersand at 11:06 AM on March 14, 2011


guilt-free vacation

You could have phoned. At the very least you could have sent us a postcard. We were all worried sick about you.
posted by kuujjuarapik at 11:09 AM on March 14, 2011


Should I ever have $5 to spare again, "The Zeppo of the Murray Clan" is totally gonna rock a 100k user number. Just sayin.
posted by nevercalm at 11:13 AM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


Okay, maybe it was that bad. I was like 7, and mostly just remember Sally Kellerman in dominatrix gear and a sex scene in some sort of zero gravity chamber. It really wasn't appropriate viewing.
posted by Alvy Ampersand at 11:14 AM on March 14, 2011


This list cannot be accurate as I did not see Slapshot on the list.
posted by JohnnyGunn at 11:37 AM on March 14, 2011


Sally Kellerman in dominatrix gear

Yeah, what was up with that? And the next year, in Meatballs III: Summer Job, (a movie even worse than Caddyshack II) she was a returned-from-the-dead porn star helping the living get laid. Poor Kellerman, play one naughty Army nurse and you're typecast for life.
posted by octobersurprise at 11:47 AM on March 14, 2011


I thought it was an interesting window into the opinions of those damn kids these days. I saw Old School and Anchorman, and to me they were funny but kind of forgettable. But if this is what your top 100 looks like, then of course you'd want to get an I Love Lamp t-shirt.

Strange that Monty Python was at #1, though. It's like when Rolling Stone has the one token hip-hop album in their top 10 every year. Or when someone says their favourite authors are Dan Brown, Dean Koontz and Shakespeare. (Not that I think Monty Python is objectively superior or anything, but it seems out of place)
posted by Pruitt-Igoe at 11:53 AM on March 14, 2011


At least they didn't forget Ghostbusters 2.
posted by brundlefly at 12:23 PM on March 14, 2011


There are people who enjoyed Waiting?

Welcome to Thunderdome, bitch!

I enjoyed the hell out of that movie. Of course, I waited tables at a Bennigan's.
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 12:24 PM on March 14, 2011


I am confused: was this a list of bad-bad movies, good-bad movies, good-good movies, or what? It is impossible to reconcile quantities like Caddyshack II with Slapshot. Can someone link to the original jawn please?
posted by Mister_A at 12:27 PM on March 14, 2011


Nevermind, I found it. Hey look at that, there was a Simpsons movie!
posted by Mister_A at 12:31 PM on March 14, 2011


Why is it no one has linked to the thread we're talking about yet, even after more than a hundred comments? It's more than a little infuriating that a whole bunch of people have clearly searched for and found the link, and yet don't see fit to share it. Can somebody just post it already, please?
posted by koeselitz at 12:39 PM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


Ah, never mind. I found it.
posted by koeselitz at 12:39 PM on March 14, 2011 [4 favorites]


Oddly, this thread made me spontaneously remember the scene in that Ferrell movie "Step Brothers" where Ferrell rubs his testicle sac on the other character's drum kit. Were those his actual balls or just stunt nutz?
posted by Burhanistan at 12:44 PM on March 14, 2011


I like the part where the candy bar is poop.
posted by Brocktoon at 12:47 PM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


that thread does have what may be the funniest sarcastic comment of the year

I'm really sorry to be the jerk to point this out, but they made a lot of mistakes. The order is wrong and some list items have been left out.
posted by iamkimiam at 4:13 AM on March 14 [8 favorites -] Favorite added! [!]

posted by Potomac Avenue at 12:51 PM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


There are people who enjoyed Waiting?

Welcome to Thunderdome, bitch!


Yes. The best scene in the film because it comes out of nowhere and just vanishes without a trace. It's a blink and you miss it moment of brilliance.

Sadly though, I could never get over the fact that the entire movie feels... mean. I can't explain it any better than that, but I just couldn't be comfortable identifying with any of the characters in it. It's a theme I find in every movie that has Dane Cook among the cast, which is weird, because I'm not a knee-jerk hater of the guy, I just find that the movies he tends to involve himself with seem to have an undercurrent of, well, meanness.
posted by quin at 12:56 PM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


This list just confirms to me that, despite the fact that the Internet has made all culture from all time instantly available, most people have the memory and curiosity of gnats. When was it that college students put together lists of funniest movies that barely had anything older than a decade and a half old, with most of the films on the list coming from when they started watching films when they were 10? There's no Marx brothers? No Chaplin? No Laurel and Hardy? No Abbot and Costello? No "Silver Streak" or "Stir Crazy"? Is this a generation that only remembers Steve Martin's turn as Inspector Clouseau? Do we really live in a world where Danny Kaye is nonexistant? Cheech and Chong barely register?

And that's just American film comics, and just an incredibly cursory survey of comedies dating from the 70s and earlier.

Honestly, is it a problem with abundance? That when everything is instantly available, nothing is desired, and we retreat into endless reviewings of films we watched within the past few years, and actors we already know, without ever looking outward?

Or is it that College Humor fans are just idiots?

And the capsule descriptions of those movies on that list contained some of the worst writing I have seen in ages.
posted by Astro Zombie at 1:07 PM on March 14, 2011 [3 favorites]


The Other Guys was surprisingly well made and enjoyable

Apropos of this thread, I'd actually written an FPP at one point about its end credits, which are balls-out brilliant, but thought it was too thin and never bothered posting it.
posted by Shepherd at 1:08 PM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


That list was a lot better than I expected. While there are some bad ones (#3 and 4 are legitimately terrible films), there is Monty Python at #1, and Wayne's World as high as it deserves to be. While I'm sure there are plenty of film nerds in UCLA's freshman class, I don't think it's realistic to expect enough of them to vote Buster Keaton or whatever above the Will Ferrell crap that they all saw in high school.
posted by drjimmy11 at 1:21 PM on March 14, 2011


I don't think it's realistic to expect enough of them to vote Buster Keaton or whatever above the Will Ferrell crap that they all saw in high school.

Why not? Because basic cultural literacy, which is now acquired with the click of a button, is beyond college students?
posted by Astro Zombie at 1:27 PM on March 14, 2011


Honestly, is it a problem with abundance? That when everything is instantly available, nothing is desired, and we retreat into endless reviewings of films we watched within the past few years, and actors we already know, without ever looking outward?

As a person who was in college less than a decade ago, I can assure you that this is merely an incredibly accurate list of films that dudes in college watch in the dorm lounge because someone already has it on DVD.
posted by shakespeherian at 1:28 PM on March 14, 2011


Once deleted, Gone.
There is no reversal.
There is no court of appeals.
There is only endless discussion.
Endless.
posted by SLC Mom at 1:29 PM on March 14, 2011


Clearly, the terrorists have already won.
posted by steambadger at 1:31 PM on March 14, 2011


I'd actually written an FPP at one point about its end credits, which are balls-out brilliant, but thought it was too thin and never bothered posting it.

I would have sworn up and down that it had already been done, but a quick search reveals that I was thinking of the flickfilosopher's take on the Wall Street types getting upset about it.

Here are the credits for anyone who hasn't seen them.
posted by quin at 1:38 PM on March 14, 2011


Because basic cultural literacy, which is now acquired with the click of a button, is beyond college students?

It's not just us college students. It's everyone.
posted by reductiondesign at 1:45 PM on March 14, 2011


It's everyone.

I know. I just hoped college students would be the ones with curiosity.

I don't know how I got this old and still remained this naive.
posted by Astro Zombie at 1:46 PM on March 14, 2011


And the fact that Black Dynamite is nowhere on there is a travesty, and I blame Dr. Wu and his kung fu treachery!
posted by Astro Zombie at 1:47 PM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


I am appalled, viewing this list, that they seem to have neglected the greatest comedy film of the past decade: the brilliant and sadly underappreciated Pootie Tang.
posted by koeselitz at 1:58 PM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


You think that just cuz a girl likes to dress fancy and stand on the corner next to some whores, that she's hookin?
posted by L'Estrange Fruit at 2:05 PM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


(In case anyone forgets this fine film, I remind you that Pootie Tang was directed by a then-unknown Louis C K; for an idea of what it is about, I quote Kevin Murphy's positive review, cited on Wikipedia, which states that the film is "like a cat falling off a table.")
posted by koeselitz at 2:20 PM on March 14, 2011


Sepatown
posted by quin at 2:28 PM on March 14, 2011 [3 favorites]


"Why not? Because basic cultural literacy, which is now acquired with the click of a button, is beyond college students?"

I live down the street from the studio where Keaton made a bunch of his Hollywood films, and used to live right around the corner from where a bunch of them were set. Aside from a little bit of him out on a ledge, I can't think of any Keaton movies that I've watched — to get to Keaton is to swim against the sea of relevance, and to argue that he's necessary for basic cultural literacy is a total codger neckbeard argument.

I'm culturally literate enough to understand that the current overuse of slow motion is an ironic century-later echo of the over-use of fast motion, as exemplified in any number of Keaton or Keystone Kops or Arbuckle or Chaplin comedies, but it's rare that I enjoy those movies enough to sit through them when there's so much other media competing for my attention that's more in line with my interests and milieu.
posted by klangklangston at 2:41 PM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


klangklangston: "and to argue that he's necessary for basic cultural literacy is a total codger neckbeard argument. "

Does anything qualify as "necessary" if one of the greatest and most influential filmmakers of all time doesn't make the cut?
posted by brundlefly at 2:48 PM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


to get to Keaton is to swim against the sea of relevance, and to argue that he's necessary for basic cultural literacy is a total codger neckbeard argument.

Yes. Because you haven't seen them, it must not be relevant.

Well, your loss, neck shave.
posted by Astro Zombie at 2:52 PM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


I do appreciate you boiling my entire list down to one artist you don't especially care for, though. I guess any question of culture literacy can be dismissed if you think one person listed oughtn't be there, entirely based on the fact that you don't enjoy them.
posted by Astro Zombie at 2:54 PM on March 14, 2011


Metafilter: total codger neckbeard argument.
posted by The Whelk at 2:59 PM on March 14, 2011


It's hard not lump it in with the codger neckbeard set when you lead in with:
"This list just confirms to me that, despite the fact that the Internet has made all culture from all time instantly available, most people have the memory and curiosity of gnats."
And what's more, these kids and their baggy pants, all up on my lawn.
posted by electroboy at 3:05 PM on March 14, 2011


Watched by empty silhouettes
Who close their eyes but still can see
posted by clavdivs at 3:38 PM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


"... the current overuse of slow motion is an ironic century-later echo of the over-use of fast motion, as exemplified in any number of Keaton or Keystone Kops or Arbuckle or Chaplin comedies..."

Nah, it's just that most silent films were shot at a slower frame rate than modern ones. So a silent film shot at 16 frames per second looks jerky and fast when its shown at the modern rate of 24 fps.
posted by Kevin Street at 3:53 PM on March 14, 2011


I assure you, whatever frustration I have with kids on my lawn equally applies to Klang on my lawn, telling me that because he has never seen a thing, he's exactly qualified to determine it's importance to cultural literacy. And to anybody who makes that argument.
posted by Astro Zombie at 3:54 PM on March 14, 2011


"Nah, it's just that most silent films were shot at a slower frame rate than modern ones. So a silent film shot at 16 frames per second looks jerky and fast when its shown at the modern rate of 24 fps."

No, really, the fast motion was an incredibly common effect in silent comedies. From your link: "At the same time, some scenes were intentionally undercranked during shooting to accelerate the action, particularly in the case of slapstick comedies."

"I assure you, whatever frustration I have with kids on my lawn equally applies to Klang on my lawn, telling me that because he has never seen a thing, he's exactly qualified to determine it's importance to cultural literacy. And to anybody who makes that argument."

Except that I'm a pretty culturally literate dude. There's no single piece of culture that everyone needs to have seen in order to be culturally literate. I know who Keaton is, I can catch Keaton references, but I can't think of a single time when having seen Keaton movies would have added to my appreciation of some other media.

And frankly, your argument is just as much bullshit if not more — there's nothing about your aesthetic preferences that make them more valid than anyone else's. Keaton's a pretty weird hill to die on, especially making this unsupported claim that Buster Keaton is somehow integral, the sine qua non of movie film comedies. There are literally millions of people living their lives in disagreement with you, and while you can assert all you want that it's relevant to you, without some sort of other evidence that it's relevant to anyone else, you're just another aesthete arguing that their personal feelings are the defining currency of relevancy, just like every Boomer who pretends that kids just can't understand music without slavering over the Beatles.
posted by klangklangston at 4:09 PM on March 14, 2011

“I had a dream of a backlot
I saw my life like a long shot
The smiling faces in a picture parade
Of all the stills from the films that you'd made
That we would see at the Essoldo
After drinking coffee at the Giancondo...”
*****

posted by koeselitz at 4:10 PM on March 14, 2011


My posts have been so weak and boring lately.
I'll post something better next time.

You do know that there's no actual requirement to post anything, don't you? Sometimes, the only winning move is not to play.
posted by dg at 4:11 PM on March 14, 2011


Oh, and further: You said "basic cultural literacy." For basic cultural literacy, it's enough to have seen some Shakespeare and generally know who he was. It's not necessary to know Thomas Dekker even if you go see Troilus and Cressida.
posted by klangklangston at 4:16 PM on March 14, 2011


Fun Early 20th Century Theater Facts:


Improv was more common in the early 20th century, partly due to the sheer number of venues and performances, and partly to keep up with rapidly changing tastes, fads, fashions, and manias. Topical humor was and is always popular and some of this revue-like staging can be seen in institution-shows like Beach Blanket Babylon.

In that vein, there was a brief fad in the 20s for something called "cokey comedies" which consisted of two actors (usually male) with a bare bones plot, a mountain of blow, and an expectation to be as loud, manic, and incoherent as possible.

I like to think this explains certain flavors of the early 20th C.
posted by The Whelk at 4:46 PM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


I got no problems saying what I got a problem with.

And you just dropped in to see what condition your condition was in?
posted by flapjax at midnite at 5:03 PM on March 14, 2011 [3 favorites]


A quick google shows that on film, those "cokey comedies" were a genre all to themselves, exemplified by the Keystone Kops… Who frequently shared a lot with … Buster Keaton (though he wasn't in any of their films, but Charlie Chaplin was).
posted by klangklangston at 5:04 PM on March 14, 2011


I am Cortex's Smiling Fact.
posted by Splunge at 5:26 PM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


I am Cortex's Cokey Comdey.
posted by The Whelk at 5:32 PM on March 14, 2011


I am Cortex's Smiling Fact.

Smile, though your heart is breaking*

*as long as we're on the subject of Chaplin
posted by flapjax at midnite at 5:34 PM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]


Smile darn ya smile!
posted by The Whelk at 5:35 PM on March 14, 2011


This is clearly an important species fpp we're dealing with here, and I don't think that you or I, or anybody, has the right to arbitrarily exterminate them delete it.
posted by tumid dahlia at 5:54 PM on March 14, 2011


flapjax, thanks for that link. It led me somehow to The Painted Lady which just broke my damn heart.
posted by L'Estrange Fruit at 6:24 PM on March 14, 2011


At least all 100 movies were on the same page.
posted by mullacc at 6:41 PM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


There needs to be an fpp on these cokey comedies
posted by Lovecraft In Brooklyn at 8:02 PM on March 14, 2011


ONWARD METAFILTER
posted by The Whelk at 8:55 PM on March 14, 2011


For this metapost to have even a chance to be funny, you'd really have to commit to it in a way you haven't done. Maybe you should try again. Start a new one. Then show some genuine outrage about a warranted deletion.
posted by J. Wilson at 9:34 PM on March 14, 2011 [1 favorite]


John's curry ranch salad

pack of salad or fresh salad vegetables (your pick, up to you)
Fruit (optional)
Meat or poultry (optional)
ranch dressing (I prefer Newman's Own)
Madras curry powder

put the salad in a bowl and add 100ml of ranch dressing (or to taste) and then sprinkle with liberal amount of curry powder. You don't need anymore salt or pepper. With tongs mix the ingredients. If there is powder left over on the salad, add more dressing.
posted by parmanparman at 12:38 AM on March 15, 2011


Bertrand brushed the stray bits of potato salad off his shoulder, put on his raccoon cap and squinted at the rising sun on the horizon. "Doris, I've always loved your sister" he said, as he turned the ignition on the grain harvester and drove off, slowly, toward the edge of the canyon. Doris clutched her copy of the I Ching, and, trembling, sang another verse from "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window".
posted by flapjax at midnite at 12:47 AM on March 15, 2011 [1 favorite]


Flapjax, this post doesn't help the fact that you are one of the most dense people I have ever encountered.
posted by parmanparman at 2:05 AM on March 15, 2011


Why yes, parmanparman, I'd love to dense! Do you foxtrot?

And thank you so much for sharing that fabulous recipe!
posted by flapjax at midnite at 2:13 AM on March 15, 2011


And since you liked that so much, allow me to share another one! here we go...

"You'll never amount to anything!" said Olivia to Christof, as he carefully positioned a tiny piece of glass into the mosaic he'd been working on for the last 33 years. It had become so enormous that one had to view it at great distance to discern the subject. Christof wondered when, if ever, Olivia would look at it from far enough away to see that it was her portrait, with a railroad spike driven through her temple.
posted by flapjax at midnite at 2:15 AM on March 15, 2011 [2 favorites]


What, no critique? How disappointing, I was just dying to know what you thought of it! Well, you've probably just stepped away from your computer for a moment... Here's another!

"It's a dog eat dog world, Carlo", said Gerldine as she removed a paper clip from her vichyssoise. Carlo, arranging his peas on the plate into the shape of Lake Wisconsin, wearily replied "Oh come on, Geraldine, have you ever actually seen a dog eat another dog?" "Why yes, Carlo, yes I have." A silence descended over the dining table, only broken by the sound of Geraldine's swift, expert karate chop to Carlo's neck.
posted by flapjax at midnite at 2:31 AM on March 15, 2011 [1 favorite]


Christ, I could throw my shoe at you. You're in Japan still, right? I am writing my lit review and also being the boss of a basketball club. People. Anyway, yeah, you make me vomit.
posted by parmanparman at 3:36 AM on March 15, 2011


Flapjax, this post doesn't help the fact that you are one of the most dense people I have ever encountered.

Giving the drummer some, apparently.
posted by Wolof at 3:40 AM on March 15, 2011


Christ, I could throw my shoe at you.

Anyway, yeah, you make me vomit.


Whoa. Man, I've just been horsing around in this thread, much the way you've been, with your recipes and whatnot, but, dude, you sound like you've got a seriously unhealthy thing going on here, with regard to your feelings about me. I mean, you can think I'm dense, OK, no problem. You're wrong, but, hey, I can't stop you from your opinions. But those comments above, um... was there something I did or said to you to engender such feelings? I mean, as far as this thread is concerned, hey, I was but one of several people here making light fun of this silly post. You yourself seem to be making fun of it, and in fact it kinda seemed like some sort of stunt/performance art piece from the very start. But, honestly, the virulence of your comments is, well, cause for some concern, perhaps, as to your mental well-being. I'm serious.
posted by flapjax at midnite at 4:42 AM on March 15, 2011


I'm being sarcastic. That, and work, is what I mainly use the web for. I'm a terrible romantic. Don't get stressed out.
posted by parmanparman at 5:06 AM on March 15, 2011


parmanparman and flapjax at midnite, ladies and gentlemen! Let's have another round of applause for those two crazy lovebirds.
posted by shakespeherian at 5:30 AM on March 15, 2011 [6 favorites]


I'm being sarcastic.

Oh. OK.
posted by flapjax at midnite at 5:34 AM on March 15, 2011


But, by the way, I'm not "stressed out". Just trying to communicate, is all.
posted by flapjax at midnite at 5:36 AM on March 15, 2011


That was some shitty sarcasm, though.
posted by Burhanistan at 6:28 AM on March 15, 2011


What is it with Ranch dressing? Why is it so popular? Especially when you can't find Green Goddess dressing anymore. Green Goddess was actually good. Wake up sheeple!
posted by Splunge at 6:30 AM on March 15, 2011


The use of "Geraldine" and vichyssoise is difficult under normal circumstances, vichyssoise always slows the image flow but the device was deployed with deft candor. unlike cluttering sarcasm with potty referents...just kidding.
If I may make a suggestion: batteries/Japan/buy them/send them/as requested/needed
IMNYBS.
posted by clavdivs at 6:51 AM on March 15, 2011 [3 favorites]


When was it that college students put together lists of funniest movies that barely had anything older than a decade and a half old, with most of the films on the list coming from when they started watching films when they were 10?

Because most people only watch movies that are at least semi-current.

Is this a generation that only remembers Steve Martin's turn as Inspector Clouseau? Do we really live in a world where Danny Kaye is nonexistant? Cheech and Chong barely register?

Yes, and I'm a little surprised that's not more obvious. People usually watch current stuff. Even college people who make movie lists. Clouseau and C&C are pretty much completely off the current generic radar.
posted by Phyltre at 8:23 AM on March 15, 2011


What is it with Ranch dressing? Why is it so popular? Especially when you can't find Green Goddess dressing anymore. Green Goddess was actually good. Wake up sheeple!


I heard about this great spice place called Penzey's when I lived in Oregon. They have Green Goddess dressing mix but only in big lots. I would love to find it or learn to make it.
posted by parmanparman at 9:27 AM on March 15, 2011


They have Green Goddess dressing mix but only in big lots.

You can order it online in much smaller quantities.

Note: I have no affiliation with Penzeys other than a deep love for their Chicago Steak Seasoning which completely revolutionized the quality of my cooking.
posted by quin at 9:33 AM on March 15, 2011


I'm 28, albeit not US, and nobody my age knows Cheech and Chong - I've only heard of them because my older brother fondly remembers watching them. College kids won't have been born when they were at their peak. It's kind of like Fawlty Towers - yes, it's a classic series, but because it#s not endlessly repeated on telly now, people my age will be more likely to vote for Little Britain or Peep Show in a comedy poll.
posted by mippy at 10:08 AM on March 15, 2011


In the US, Cheech and Chong were just the main guests in the most recent Simpsons episode (for good and ill).
posted by klangklangston at 10:25 AM on March 15, 2011


Harold & Kumar are no better or worse than Cheech & Chong, but the videos are in higher resolution so the kids can relate better to them than the old geezer stoners.
posted by Burhanistan at 11:02 AM on March 15, 2011


I was just about to download Arctic Blast but I read the review first. Can it really be that bad, that it's good? Can the science been any badder than 2012?
posted by unliteral at 4:54 PM on March 15, 2011


So there was this documentary about LARPers, I don't remember what it was called, but at one point the LARPers were having a meeting and a guy named Dave who was supposed to be there didn't show up and somebody yelled from the back "Dave's not here!" and everybody in the room just sort of bemusedly agreed that Dave was in fact not there.

If even LARP nerds don't catch a Cheech and Chong reference anymore, Cheech and Chong are simply no longer part of the cultural landscape.
posted by ook at 8:04 AM on March 16, 2011


Counterpoint: I'm 28, grew up in New England, and it seemed like everyone knew who C&C were as I was growing up. While the movies didn't resonate as much as more modern stuff, we'd seen them, and enjoyed following the extremely different career paths the two took thereafter. Tin Cup vs. That 70s Show, anyone?
posted by SpiffyRob at 10:20 AM on March 16, 2011


This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer is castigating the kids he's driving to school for not knowing who Grand Funk Railroad is.
posted by electroboy at 1:06 PM on March 16, 2011


DID SOMEONE ORDER THE LONDON SYMPHONY ORCESTRA? POSSIBLY WHILE HIGH?
posted by The Whelk at 4:11 PM on March 16, 2011 [1 favorite]


All we have is our music, our legions of fans, our millions of dollars, and our youth.
posted by SpiffyRob at 6:04 AM on March 17, 2011


« Older ponyrequestfuckyeah.tumblr.com   |   Metafilter helps! Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments