MeFi Nonprofit Update January 30, 2024 12:56 PM   Subscribe

The board forming the nonprofit for Metafilter met Jan. 18.

The major decision was about our decision-making process. We will have a quorum of 51 percent, and 51 percent is required to decide a question. Two-thirds of board members at a meeting may vote to re-open previous questions.

“Ultimate” issues will require a 2/3 vote to pass. These are questions of the formation of the nonprofit corporation, which IRS section to incorporate under, the method for designating the new board, and the handling of assets to be transferred from the LLC to the nonprofit.

The governance team is meeting on the Thursdays that the full board doesn’t meet.

Aielen is acting as a bridge between the board and the BIPOC committee.

The board has surveyed itself to start its work on name, purpose and a number of governance issues.

Kybard resigned on Jan. 13.
posted by NotLost to MetaFilter-Related at 12:56 PM (17 comments total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

Thanks for the update! This all sounds really promising. Thanks to everyone who volunteered to serve!
posted by hydropsyche at 1:00 PM on January 30 [7 favorites]


I don't have a practical way to bake you all cookies, so please accept spiritual snickerdoodles instead.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 1:09 PM on January 30 [6 favorites]


Is there a list of board members somewhere please.
posted by adamvasco at 2:33 PM on January 30 [3 favorites]


When you talk about "voting" and quora - you mean voting by the board, not the general membership, correct?
posted by amtho at 3:23 PM on January 30


Thanks to those who've given up their valuable time to work on this mundane but vital task!
posted by dg at 4:48 PM on January 30 [8 favorites]


I hated having to step away but remain optimistic about the work, and hope that maybe I can pitch in again as things move forward!
posted by Kybard at 4:54 PM on January 30 [14 favorites]


Thank you for this update, and thank you to everyone volunteering their time for MetaFilter.
posted by cupcakeninja at 5:22 PM on January 30 [2 favorites]


Thanks for the updates and your work on this!

Kybard resigned on Jan. 13.

Would it be possible to include a full list of meeting participants or members and not just a diff of membership changes? I realize this is completely obvious to all of you but it isn't from the outside unless you've been paying very close attention, and this segment of the notes was kind of confusing to read both in this and the last minutes (especially that one). It would also be really helpful to us to use some kind of minutes template that provides a bit of signposting about what info you are giving. (i.e. headings like "Outcomes: ...", "Action items: ...", "Membership changes: ...", ...)
posted by advil at 5:34 AM on January 31 [4 favorites]


When you talk about "voting" and quora - you mean voting by the board, not the general membership, correct?

Right.

Is there a list of board members somewhere please.

Current list:
1adam12
aielen
box
bwerdmuller
dorothyisunderwood
Frayed Knot
JHarris
mrmcsurly
mygothlaundry
NotLost
Rhaomi


Would it be possible to include a full list of meeting participants or members and not just a diff of membership changes?

We are considering a public web page. I hope to have news about that at our next update.

It would also be really helpful to us to use some kind of minutes template that provides a bit of signposting about what info you are giving. (i.e. headings like "Outcomes: ...", "Action items: ...", "Membership changes: ...", ...)

I think we are evolving toward something like that.
posted by NotLost at 6:09 AM on January 31 [15 favorites]


NotLost, thanks so much for the info. And thanks to all of you.
posted by mochapickle at 6:33 AM on January 31 [2 favorites]


As someone who went through an unexpectedly difficult 2023 of board/ED conflict in my own non-profit, and whose job has been (and continues to be) orders of magnitude more difficult because of it, I wish the MeFi board all the time, space, and measured collegiality that you need to get the transition work done, and none of the conflict I am now uncomfortably aware is possible. Thanks for your service!!
posted by Lawn Beaver at 8:14 AM on January 31 [20 favorites]


Thank you.
posted by jessamyn (staff) at 10:10 AM on January 31 [7 favorites]


Please be aware that when the application to become a nonprofit is submitted (and in subsequent minutes and correspondence), real names will be required. Since this may cause concern for current board members, my suggestion is that the usage of real names be implemented very soon.
posted by garypratt at 1:42 PM on January 31 [5 favorites]


As someone whose local news source recently became a non-profit, these regular status updates on the board give me a lot of hope. Thanks to everyone who is participating!
posted by wnissen at 1:47 PM on January 31 [1 favorite]


Please be aware that when the application to become a nonprofit is submitted (and in subsequent minutes and correspondence), real names will be required. Since this may cause concern for current board members, my suggestion is that the usage of real names be implemented very soon.

Speaking on only my own behalf: I am aware that we will need to use real names at a certain point. And I expect us to deal with that when the time comes. We have a number of other things to deal with that call for our attention sooner.
posted by NotLost at 9:12 PM on January 31 [6 favorites]


I wish the MeFi board all the time, space, and measured collegiality that you need to get the transition work done.

Thanks! We have a good group.
posted by NotLost at 10:56 AM on February 1


As a non-profit board member, I tip my hat to everyone involved in this!

It can be slow and also contentious, but it's 101% necessary work.
posted by wenestvedt at 8:33 AM on February 5 [1 favorite]


« Older Idea: Require including TFA's author(s)/creator(s)...   |   MeFite Book Birthday Announcement! Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments