Team Fortress 2 Metafilter Server
posted by eurasian to MetaFilter Gatherings at 10:49 AM (184 comments total)
32 users marked this as a favorite
So you're on the least aggravating public server, trying to avoid the porn sprays, the sailor talk (and I'm not talking nautical), and ear-cleaving yells that someone has indeed, owned you; not only because you are newer to the game than he, but because your sexual orientation is something he fears and denigrates.
You might think to yourself. Well, a few things.
1) I wonder if there is a nice cozy server that's all passworded up the wazoo with 128 bit encryption to keep me safe from the unwashed masses?
2) Wouldn't it be nice to make a snide comment on the server about Edgar Rice Burroughs only to be rebuked in a style best described as Irate Lovecraftian.
3) Where have all the friendly people gone? Do they no longer play video games? Are they holed up play Settlers of Catan or Risk or some other highly geeky yet ultimately socially unacceptable game? They might even be fans of Diplomacy. Or, Ganesha forbid, Go.
4) Give me a place where I can call home. Where people do silly things for silly reasons, and every so often, they actually have serious games where the TEAM in Team Fortress actually means something.
5) Damn games to heck, I just want to be able to rub cyber shoulders with Stavros the Wonderchicken! That DaShiv guy! Or that fellow who made that short lived but ever amusing HL2 comic, "Concerned". GIVE ME E-CELEBRITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Well, we have the place for you. herr.doktor and Stavros the Chicken and some others I'm sure I've missed has amassed their internets, weaving together the series of tubes to create a veritable basket of gaming goodness!
A metafilter member only TF2 server! Password protected! With like, set game nights! Tournaments! PRIZES! And, most holiest of holies, a FORUM TO BLATHER INCESSANTLY ABOUT MEDIC CHANGES!
So come on over, we don't bite. Hard.