I was experimenting with Google's search suggestions feature when I noticed that it gave some interesting results for "metafilter + [letter]". Since it returns the most popular search terms starting with that phrase, what you get for each letter is an A-Z listing of the most sought-after topics related to Metafilter. So without further ado, I give you...
(each search term links to my best guess of the most appropriate page for the query)
- humble AskMe, of course.
metafilter april fools
- a reference to Mefi's annual April Fools joke, nicely summarized at the Mefi wiki.
metafilter ayn rand
- Mefi's antipathy for the creator of Objectivism is probably best summed up by this 2005 thread commemorating the 100th year since her birth, though there are many other examples
- Perhaps some dedicated AskMe junkies were curious about this "community blog" they keep hearing about?
metafilter bradbury all summer in a day
- an oddly popular subject for "find this book/movie" AskMe's
- referring to the 249-comment post to the Blue about Bale's on-set freakout.
- the interminable discussion of the BSG finale.
- the top result is the much-loved "What book is the best introduction to your field?" AskMe (1098 favorites!), but a lot of other good book posts are summed up on the ReadMe article
from the Mefi wiki.
metafilter comic sans
- Mefites diss Comic Sans; Matt gets revenge.
metafilter contribution index
's excellent tool for statistical analysis of any user's posting history.
metafilter cat scan
- "metafilter cat scan" is one of the strangest search terms I've seen in some time. I have no idea how these people got this wedged into Google Suggest, or why.
- many sites have branched off from Mefi or use a similar layout -- the wiki provides a nice round-up.
- the best of the web, I hear
- a thread about the "boss" of internet worms, which seemed to fizzle anti-climactically a few months ago.
- Metafilter's beloved moderator/bard.
- a blog that keeps track of all deleted threads on Metafilter.
- a blog that keeps track of all deleted Metafilters on the internet (a thankfully rare event).
metafilter david lee roth
- "David Lee Roth's vocal track from Runnin' With the Devil
, without benefit of, you know, music."
no results! (And for the most common letter in the English language? How about that.)
- Mefites love themselves some Flash
metafilter flash friday
- ...especially on Friday.
- read it, learn it, live it.
- Greasemonkey is a Firefox extension that allows on-the-fly customizations to webpages. There are several dozen designed to provide bonus functionality for Metafilter, like avatars and visible deleted threads.
- We love games! Especially free games
- Hackers? In my
- There's no official channel, but #mefi on slashnet is the unofficial equivalent.
- a super-sleek Mefi interface designed for the iPhone
- cortex's downloadable collection of site-wide statistics. Current as of July 30th!
metafilter is down
- ...face down, that is, for a relaxing massage!
metafilter interactive fiction
- A design contest for best interactive fiction game. All titles are playable on the contest site!
- A popular topic in these uncertain times. Or maybe people are just gunning for adminship?
- a post discussing Kutiman's fantastic YouTube remix project.
- Blogs blogging blogs.
- a professional white background for the discerning Mefite.
- Less talk, more rock.
- the iPhone version does double-duty for all mobile devices.
- Metatalk's the unofficial home for them now, but word is a dedicated subsite is in the works.
- the first non-mod user to show up, Mutant is Mefi's resident financial guru
- cortex's language toy generated random sentences based on a user's posting history. It's sadly out of commission due to security holes exposed in this year's hacking incident.
metafilter network llc
- metafilter.net may be sparser, but it sure has a cool logo.
- another popular longtime Metafilter member.
- "Like a slot machine, only with people."
- Mefi's own semi-monthly site round-up.
- Projects from the community.
- The Blue is the most popular subscription, but there are feeds available for all subsites and threads, too.
metafilter running with the songsmith
- mrzarquon's wonderful, horrible procedural music/David Lee Roth jam burned up the web a few months ago.
- The status blog, again.
- The original thread on Songsmith that inspired the above song.
metafilter space game
- Space and games, two great tastes that taste great together.
metafilter star trek
- There've been a lot of Star Trek posts, but this YouTube mashup one is probably the most-loved.
- Cover your shame!
- Sidebar Twitter stream.
- A popular staple of Mefightclub.
- The neglected subsite now redirects to the main page...
- One of Mefi's more memorable flare-ups, in which a webcomic artist pilfered users' one-liners and used them as the punchlines for his strips.
- Moar status blog.
- I figured this referred to video posts in general, but this is *so* much better.
metafilter vs youtube comments
- As if anyone ever needed any help feeling superior to Youtube commenters.
- The Mefi Wiki! A repository of all site knowledge. I honestly found browsing it more useful than the FAQ when it came to understanding site culture.
- Eh, it's adequate.
- Metafilter's comic fans attempt the daunting task of dissecting the merits of a movie from its first trailer.
metafilter youtube comments
- The MetaTalk thread!
- I'm surprised there aren't more vids, actually.