as well as internal discussions about how we could someday do a site around entertainment in general, we're ready to open up a small beta test of what discussions around episodic TV might look like at
We are launching it while discussing just two TV shows, season 7 of Mad Men and season 4 of Game of Thrones. There are three posts up for the episodes that have been shown so far. This site is very much in beta and will be from now until the end of June, when the last Game of Thrones episode airs. After that time, we'll figure out what worked and what didn't work, make adjustments and likely roll it out to cover any episode of previous and future TV shows.
If this works well with TV, we’re also looking to expand the site to other major entertainment media like film, books, video games, and so on. That’s long-term stuff, though; for now we want to focus on this smaller scope while we work out the functionality of the site and let folks participate and provide feedback.
There are a few big topics we'd like to hammer out:
- Spoilers: we ask that no spoilers show up on the front page of the site, save it for the more inside area below the fold and inside threads made to talk about episodes. Within threads about an episode, feel free to discuss anything that took place in that episode or in previous episodes, and we only ask that you don't make references to spoilers from future episodes nor from books or comics the work was based on. It should be reasonably safe to read the front page of the site if you haven't caught up on a show because you will see mostly just show titles, and if you wade into a thread, caveat emptor, as people will certainly discuss what happened in that episode.
- Live blogging shows: The threads are for discussions about a show, post-episode airing. For this test, we'll just have 16 threads in total (6MM/10GoT) and the first one won't go up until after it is done airing in Pacific Time. There's no support for live blogging something on the site itself, but you can use Chat and we are considering dedicated rooms in Chat for specific shows and/or events.
- Why just the current GoT and Mad Men? Why not previous seasons of both? Why not everything?: These are two of the most popular shows that a great number of MeFi users watch and like to discuss. The way both shows are conducting their seasons currently, from early April through late June works well within the confines of a limited beta test we can use to feel out the idea and see what tweaks need to be made after. We hope by the end of the run, we'll be set up to allow for more seasons of these shows and more shows in general.
- Who can post? At the moment, only mods can get to the posting form, but by the end of this upcoming weekend, we'll allow for posting by members that will be approved by a mod, going live after the show has aired. After the beta, this will be open to any and all and go up instantly, so if you really want to talk about Golden Girls season 5
, episode 6 "Rose Fights Back", you can.
- What about x, y, and z? We're starting small because it's easier to manage and easier to build upon. We hope this is a tiny slice of a larger site about more things related to entertainment, but to start it's for discussion of episodes of a couple recent, popular shows for the next couple months.
Thanks for trying it out and giving it a whirl, feel free to ask questions here and we'll do our best to answer them (and keep in mind a lot of answers might be "we don't know yet" since the test has just launched and we may need to see how people use it and what more they want out of it).